Magnetic Flux question

I'm not sure how to show my work.In summary, the magnetic flux through each face of a die is given by (sigma)B = N Wb, where N is the number of spots on the face. The flux is positive for even N and negative for odd N. The flux through the sixth face of the die would be 3 Wb going outward.
jgc139
The magnetic flux through each of five faces of a die (singular of "dice") is given by (sigma)B = N Wb, where N (= 1 to 5) is the number of spots on the face. The flux is positive (outward) for N even and negative (inward) for N odd. What is the flux through the sixth face of the die?

I don't understand what I am doing wrong with this one. Why isn't the answer 1 Wb? Can anyone help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange question, but the answer is 3 Wb(going out).

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by jgc139
The magnetic flux through each of five faces of a die (singular of "dice") is given by (sigma)B = N Wb, where N (= 1 to 5) is the number of spots on the face. The flux is positive (outward) for N even and negative (inward) for N odd. What is the flux through the sixth face of the die?

I don't understand what I am doing wrong with this one. Why isn't the answer 1 Wb? Can anyone help me

Can you show what you did? We can't explain why you got the wrong answer without seeing your work.

Thanks,

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Weber (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area perpendicular to the field (A). The formula is Φ = B * A.

3. What is the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area, while magnetic flux density (also known as magnetic induction) is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point within a material.

4. How does magnetic flux affect electric circuits?

Magnetic flux plays a crucial role in the operation of electric circuits. When a conductor moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force known as the Lorentz force, which can induce an electric current in the conductor. This phenomenon is the basis of many electrical devices, including generators and motors.

5. Can magnetic flux be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic flux can be shielded or blocked by certain materials. Materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or steel, can redirect the magnetic field lines and effectively shield objects from the magnetic flux. However, no material can completely block magnetic flux.