Alcohol Enzyme Reactions: High or Low?

In summary: That it does not contain starch? And that it is not a glycoprotein?The enzyme that you needed would be catalase. For hydrogen peroxide to occur.
Jeebus
I was just wondering, and it probably isn't a great, extreme complex question - But does alcohol contain a high or low enzyme reaction rate activity?

I know that amylase is not a starch because it comes out negative for Iodine; I know that amylase is not a sugar because it tests negative for Benedicts; and I know that amylase is a protein because it tests positive for Biuret, but amylase contains starch and glycerol and since alochol fermentation has to have starch in it would that still give it a high reaction rate or low reaction rate even though it is a solvent?

I'm not sure, so I could use some expertise in this biochemical field.

And one more thing, what is the optimal pH level for enzyme catalysts?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am a bit puzzled by the question..

Originally posted by Jeebus
I was just wondering, and it probably isn't a great, extreme complex question - But does alcohol contain a high or low enzyme reaction rate activity?
Depends on the enzyme?

I know that amylase is not a starch because it comes out negative for Iodine; I know that amylase is not a sugar because it tests negative for Benedicts; and I know that amylase is a protein because it tests positive for Biuret, but amylase contains starch and glycerol and since alochol fermentation has to have starch in it would that still give it a high reaction rate or low reaction rate even though it is a solvent?
Amylase is an enzyme secreted in saliva and it helps in the digestion of starch and glycogen. Amylase is an enzyme, I am not sure why you say it CONTAINS starch and glycerol. Are you talking about the fermentation to get alcoholic drinks?

And one more thing, what is the optimal pH level for enzyme catalysts?
Depends entirely on the enzyme :)

Sorry about that.

Depends on the enzyme?

The enzyme that you needed would be catalase. For hydrogen peroxide to occur.

Amylase is an enzyme secreted in saliva and it helps in the digestion of starch and glycogen. Amylase is an enzyme, I am not sure why you say it CONTAINS starch and glycerol. Are you talking about the fermentation to get alcoholic drinks?

Yes, I am speaking of the fermentation to get alcoholic drinks containing one or more hydroxyl groups bound to carbon atoms. Yeppers.

Jeebus, you seem rather confused. What, other than the question Monique correctly answered, are you trying to find out specifically?

Why you bring up catalase and why you think hydrogen peroxide is a verb I cannot tell.

And all though I do not know if amylase is a glycoprotein or not, I doubt it contains starch.

Furthermore, you don't need starch for alcohol fermentation. Rum, I believe, comes almost entirely from sucrose.

What are you saying is the solvent, amylase?

1. What is the role of enzymes in alcohol reactions?

Enzymes are proteins that act as catalysts in biochemical reactions. In alcohol reactions, enzymes speed up the conversion of alcohol into other compounds, such as acetaldehyde and acetic acid.

2. How do enzymes affect the rate of alcohol reactions?

Enzymes can either increase or decrease the rate of alcohol reactions, depending on their specific function. For example, enzymes called alcohol dehydrogenases increase the rate of alcohol breakdown, while enzymes called aldehyde dehydrogenases decrease the rate of acetaldehyde formation.

3. Why do some people have a higher tolerance for alcohol?

Individuals with a higher tolerance for alcohol have higher levels of certain enzymes, such as alcohol dehydrogenases and aldehyde dehydrogenases. These enzymes help break down alcohol more quickly, reducing its effects on the body.

4. How does the type of alcohol affect enzyme reactions?

The type of alcohol can impact enzyme reactions, as different enzymes are responsible for breaking down different types of alcohol. For example, ethanol is primarily broken down by alcohol dehydrogenases, while methanol is primarily broken down by a different enzyme called alcohol oxidase.

5. Can enzyme reactions be manipulated to prevent alcohol intoxication?

While enzymes can be manipulated in laboratory settings, it is not currently possible to manipulate them in the body to prevent alcohol intoxication. The rate of enzyme reactions is dependent on various factors, including genetics and overall health, and cannot be easily controlled. The best way to prevent alcohol intoxication is to drink responsibly and in moderation.