Chris' question at Yahoo Answers regarding an exponential function

In summary, the function f(x)=4\left(\frac{4}{3} \right)^{\frac{x}{3}-1} satisfies the given conditions.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find a function of the form f(x)=aebx given the function values? Please help!?

f(0)=3, f(3)=4 ; how can I solve this? I keep on getting the wrong answers..

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello chris,

We are given:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=ae^{bx}\)

where:

\(\displaystyle f(0)=3,=,f(3)=4\)

Using the first point, we find:

\(\displaystyle f(0)=ae^{b\cdot0}=a=3\)

Now, using this value for $a$, and the second point, we find:

\(\displaystyle f(3)=3e^{b\cdot3}=4\implies e^{3b}=\frac{4}{3}\implies b=\frac{1}{3}\ln\left(\frac{4}{3} \right)\)

And so our function is:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=3e^{\frac{1}{3}\ln\left(\frac{4}{3} \right)x}\)

Although this is the form required, we could rewrite it in a simpler form:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=3e^{\ln\left(\left(\frac{4}{3} \right)^{\frac{x}{3}} \right)}=3\left(\frac{4}{3} \right)^{\frac{x}{3}}\)

Related to Chris' question at Yahoo Answers regarding an exponential function

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the variable appears in the exponent. It is often written in the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants.

2. How is an exponential function different from a linear function?

An exponential function grows or decays at an increasing rate, while a linear function grows or decays at a constant rate. In other words, the output of an exponential function increases or decreases at a faster rate as the input increases, while the output of a linear function increases or decreases at a constant rate.

3. What are the common uses of exponential functions?

Exponential functions are commonly used to model growth or decay in natural and social sciences, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They are also used in engineering and economics to model various processes.

4. Can you give an example of an exponential function?

One example of an exponential function is the growth of bacteria in a petri dish. The number of bacteria doubles every hour, which can be represented by the function f(t) = 100(2)^t, where t is the time in hours and 100 is the initial number of bacteria.

5. How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you can use a table of values or a calculator to find several points and then plot them on a graph. The graph will have a curved shape, with the slope increasing or decreasing as the values of x increase. You can also use the characteristics of the function, such as the initial value and the growth or decay rate, to sketch the graph.