Space-Time Velocity: Is It True?

In summary, traveling through the 4 dimensions of space-time at the constant c means that our velocity through the spatial dimensions affects our velocity through time. This is due to converting time units to length units using c, resulting in a squared displacement calculation. If we are stationary, only our time displacement is effective. However, if we were traveling at the speed of light, we would not age from our perspective, but from others' perspectives, they would not age.
strubenuff
Is it true that we're traveling through the 4 dimensions of space time at the constant, c? This implies that velocity through the spatial dimensions detracts from our velocity through time and vice versa. For example, if I were traveling at the speed of light, I wouldn't be aging because I wouldn't be traveling through time (V=0).

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by strubenuff
Is it true that we're traveling through the 4 dimensions of space time at the constant, c? This implies that velocity through the spatial dimensions detracts from our velocity through time and vice versa. For example, if I were traveling at the speed of light, I wouldn't be aging because I wouldn't be traveling through time (V=0).

Please define "travel"

In converting time to units of length, for use in formuilas and components, we multiply by the invariant speed, c. So many length units per time unit. As a result of that your squared displacement from one event in spacetime to another becomes

c2Δt2 - Δx2- Δy2- Δz2.

If you remain still, your space displacements are all zero, and only your time displacement (aging) is effective. Evidently this is cΔt in length units. This is the origin of the statement that we are moving through time at the speed of light. It is really because we convert time units to length units using c. And we use c because it is the same in all inertial frames of reference.

For example, if I were traveling at the speed of light, I wouldn't be aging because I wouldn't be traveling through time (V=0).
Yes, but that will only be true from a perspective that is traveling at c relative to you. From your point of view, your time proceeds normally and it is THEY that do not age.

1. What is space-time velocity?

Space-time velocity is a term used in physics to describe the speed at which an object moves through both space and time. This concept combines the ideas of velocity, which is the rate of change of an object's position, and space-time, which is the four-dimensional space that includes three dimensions of space and one dimension of time.

2. Is space-time velocity the same as regular velocity?

No, space-time velocity is not the same as regular velocity. Regular velocity only takes into account an object's speed through space, while space-time velocity takes into account an object's speed through both space and time. This means that space-time velocity can be greater than regular velocity since it includes the element of time.

3. How is space-time velocity calculated?

Space-time velocity is calculated using a formula that takes into account the distance an object travels through space and the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula is v = d/t, where v is space-time velocity, d is distance, and t is time. This formula is similar to the formula for regular velocity, but it includes the concept of time dilation.

4. What is time dilation and how does it relate to space-time velocity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time can appear to pass at different rates for objects moving at different speeds. This means that as an object's space-time velocity increases, time appears to slow down for that object relative to a stationary observer. Therefore, time dilation is an important factor in calculating space-time velocity.

5. Is the concept of space-time velocity proven to be true?

The concept of space-time velocity is supported by numerous experiments and observations in physics. The theory of relativity, which includes the concept of space-time velocity, has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of objects in our universe. However, as with any scientific theory, it is subject to further testing and refinement as our understanding of the universe evolves.