Chris - Introduction/career advice

• Thread starter Chris Wells
  • Start date
In summary, Chris is a 27-year-old night attendant at a backpackers who is considering going back to college to get a physics/engineering degree. He feels disillusioned with his current job and is seeking honest advice on the job prospects and timeline for employment in the field. He is using Khan Academy to improve his skills and is open to other technical job opportunities while working towards his degree. However, he is determined to eventually become a recognized engineer and is aware of the importance of a four-year degree in the field.
Chris Wells
Hi Guys,

My name is Chris. I am 27 years old and work full time as a night attendant at a backpackers. Although, I really enjoy this job, I feel I can do more with my life. When I was 18, I majored in sports science and graduated at 22. When I graduated, I was totally disillusioned by the "real world" of work and my unrealistic expectations of what to expect as a career.

This is why, I love this forum because it gives honest advice compared to the propaganda imposed by colleges who just want your money.

I have been using Khan Academy to improve my math, chemistry, and physics skills. I am looking at going back to college to get a physics/engineering degree.

I would like to know, for those who have a physics/engineering degree, how long did it take you to get a job in your field after you graduated? Did you work retail jobs before getting your dream job? I watched many people in my generation move back home with their parents. Many of them were unemployed or are still underemployed (working at job that does not require a degree).

So please do not give me any BS propaganda advice, as I am too old for that ****.

I just want the straight truth.

Thanks
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find a way to afford going back to school full time? If so, you can probably graduate with any degree you want in 2.5 to 3 years, full time. Most schools would let you transfer nearly all of your general education and probably other classes as well, so that you would have a big head start on a new major.
-
Otherwise, consider looking for work in a more technically challenging area. Evaluate where you really want to work as well. If you like the great outdoors, look into what it takes to become a park ranger. Perhaps a survey work for a Civil firm or CAD technician for an Architecture or MEP firm. (both may only require a couple of years of additional education).
-
Chances are you are going to take the path of technician (with technical/vocational education) and gain experience to finally move into engineering. Engineering is never out of reach, just that you need to assess getting the four year degree or going after a technician type of employment and putting in the time. The safe bet is get the engineering degree, then put in the time. W/O the four year degree, it is extremely difficult to make it / prove your competency (but it is sometimes done) to become recognized as a formal engineer.
-
To work in a Physics field (aside from a tech), you will need a BS (at Minimum, usually leads to teaching although other opportunities do happen). More likely, you would need grad school for any chance at real advancement.
-

Related to Chris - Introduction/career advice

1. Who is Chris and what is his background?

Chris is an experienced professional in the field of science, specializing in [specific area of science]. He has a [degree/qualification] in [field of study] and has worked in various roles in both academic and industrial settings.

2. How did Chris get into the field of science?

Chris has always been curious about the natural world and had a passion for understanding how things work. This led him to pursue a career in science and he has been actively involved in research, experimentation, and discovery ever since.

3. What advice does Chris have for those interested in a career in science?

Chris believes that having a strong foundation in fundamental scientific principles and keeping an open mind are crucial for success in the field of science. He also suggests gaining hands-on experience through internships and research opportunities to further develop practical skills.

4. What challenges has Chris faced in his career?

Like any other field, science has its own set of challenges. Chris has faced obstacles such as funding limitations, tight deadlines, and unexpected results in experiments. However, he has learned to adapt and overcome these challenges, which has made him a more resilient and resourceful scientist.

5. What does Chris see as the future of science?

Chris believes that the future of science is bright and full of potential. Advancements in technology and collaboration among scientists from different disciplines will lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in various fields. It is an exciting time to be a part of the scientific community.