Choosing the Right Switch for a Stereo Audio Design: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter the_android
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Designing
In summary, the speaker is in need of a DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw) switch for the 2-2-1 audio switch, which has two inputs and one output. This allows for four signals to be switched to two signals, providing various mixing options. It is also possible to use two DPDT's, one for each channel, or a 4PDT rotary switch. The poster had previously done some research on Google.
the_android
hi guys, today i got the hugest brainfade I've ever gotten before. I'm designing a small 2-2-1* audio switch for a friend of mine and i totally forgot which switch i should use. any tips?

*note, 2 input(360, pc) to 1 output (speakers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Intuiting from context 2-2-1 means that you have two inputs and one output, then a DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw) switch is what you want. However you probably have _stereo_ {in,out}puts so you need to switch four signals to two signals, which you could do with two DPDT's, one for each channel, making for some fun mixing options. Or find a 4PDT, probably some kind of rotary switch.

schip666! said:
Intuiting from context 2-2-1 means that you have two inputs and one output, then a DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw) switch is what you want. However you probably have _stereo_ {in,out}puts so you need to switch four signals to two signals, which you could do with two DPDT's, one for each channel, making for some fun mixing options. Or find a 4PDT, probably some kind of rotary switch.

yes it's stereo, and i thank thee very much for the reply. and berkeman, you do realize that i actually did some googling before posting here.

Related to Choosing the Right Switch for a Stereo Audio Design: Tips and Tricks

1. What is brainfade during designing?

Brainfade during designing is a temporary state of mental fatigue or exhaustion that can occur when working on a creative or cognitive task for an extended period of time. It can manifest as a lack of focus, difficulty generating new ideas, and a decrease in overall productivity.

2. What causes brainfade during designing?

Brainfade during designing can be caused by a variety of factors, such as working on a project for too long without taking breaks, lack of sleep or proper nutrition, and stress or burnout. It can also be a result of trying to multitask or juggle multiple projects at once.

3. How can I prevent brainfade during designing?

To prevent brainfade during designing, it is important to take regular breaks and rest your mind. This can include going for a walk, doing a different activity, or simply taking a few minutes to relax and recharge. It is also important to maintain a healthy work-life balance and prioritize self-care.

4. What are some strategies for overcoming brainfade during designing?

One strategy for overcoming brainfade during designing is to break up tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks. This can help prevent mental fatigue and keep your mind engaged. It can also be helpful to switch up your environment or work on a different project for a while. Additionally, practicing mindfulness techniques such as deep breathing or meditation can help improve focus and concentration.

5. When should I seek help for brainfade during designing?

If brainfade during designing becomes a frequent or persistent issue, it may be a sign of a larger problem such as burnout or a mental health issue. In these cases, it is important to seek help from a therapist or mental health professional. They can provide support and guidance on how to manage stress and improve overall well-being.