Choosing the Right I Beam for 800lb Load Support

In summary, the I beam will deflect under any load, regardless of how small. You need a qualified engineer to help design the project. The beam will need to be 3-4' in the ground with a concrete base, and the rest of the I beam will be above ground level and free standing at about 10' tall.
mebuildit
Since I'm new to this site don't razz me to bad since I suck at any type of mathematical equations.
Anyways, I am building a "Jib" arm and was planning on putting an I beam in the ground with concrete. Although the I beam will have to be free standing and about 10' tall. The "jib" arm is about 8' x 4' tall I will attach a picture.
My question is how big of an I beam will I need before I get any deflection from lifting about 800lbs.?
The I beam will be about 3-4' in the ground with a concrete base. The rest of the I beam will be above ground level and free standing at about 10' tall.

I'm just not sure if a 8" I beam will be strong enough to hold what I'm trying to do.

Here is the idea that I have.

Attachments

• Jib arm 1.jpg
    Jib arm 1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 359
Engineering news on Phys.org
You've got to be careful when you are designing something to support a substantial load. You need a qualified engineer. Having said that, the beam will deflect under any load, regardless of how small, because of the overturning moment from the jib arm. You have to specify what is a tolerable deflection. Then be sure the beam can handle both that deflection and the bending and axial loads. And that the concrete foundation is adequate to support the load. Also, your sketch indicates that the jib is attached to the web of the I-beam, creating weak axis bending. You might want to rotate it 90 degrees to reduce deflection and increase beam capacity. And if the jib can pivot (how much?), you've got to consider that case also.

Last edited:
Well, while I have Roarks out, I'll see what I can find. It seems that you have in section Beams; Flexure of Straight Beams, case 3a - Left End Free, right end cantilevered (where of course your right end is in the ground).

A load on the jig as you're calling it will create a moment on the i-beam. You can do a simple free body to get the moment that will be applied given your load. I find the deflection and slope at the end (top) of the beam as:

[tex] \theta_A = \frac{-M_0 (l-a)}{EI} [/tex]
[tex] y_A = \frac{M_0 (l^2 - a^2)}{2EI} [/tex]

Where l is the length, a is the distance from the top of the beam to your load, E and I are material and geometric properties of the beam respectively, and of course M is the moment.

These correspond to the maximum values, where the maximum possible value is when a=0, or the moment is applied at the very top. One consideration, you will have different moment of inertia, I, values depending on which way your bending.

Now, you will also have buckling calculations to run, which are out of the scope of this post, haha.

Well you bring some information that I didn't think about. As for the arm swing it will rotate 180º and after pricing I beams at $2400 for a 20 foot length I think that an I beam is out of the equasion.

So what I'm thinking is a 6 X 6 square tubing 3/8" thick with some reinforcements along the sides and front will be enough to support what I"m trying to do.

Related to Choosing the Right I Beam for 800lb Load Support

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an I beam for an 800lb load support?

When selecting an I beam for an 800lb load support, you should consider the material, size, and shape of the beam. The material should be strong enough to support the weight and resistant to bending or breaking. The size and shape of the beam should be appropriate for the specific load and the span that the beam will be supporting.

2. How do I determine the load capacity of an I beam?

The load capacity of an I beam can be determined by calculating the moment of inertia, section modulus, and yield strength of the beam. These values can be obtained from the manufacturer's specifications or by consulting a structural engineer.

3. Can I use a smaller I beam for an 800lb load if it is made of a stronger material?

No, the size and shape of the beam are also important factors in determining its load capacity. Even if the material is stronger, a smaller beam may not be able to support the weight due to its size and shape.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using an I beam for load support?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the I beam is properly installed and supported to prevent any potential collapse or failure. It is also crucial to regularly inspect the beam for any signs of damage or wear and tear.

5. Can I modify an I beam to increase its load capacity?

No, modifying an I beam can compromise its structural integrity and potentially lead to failure. It is important to choose the appropriate beam for the load and span needed, rather than attempting to modify an existing beam.