Choosing the Right Electric Adaptor for Your Music Keyboard: 9V vs 12V and More!

In summary, the electric adaptor for a music keyboard must have a rating of 1.5 amps and a voltage of 12 volts in order to function. Using an adapter with a higher amperage will not harm the keyboard, but the device will only be able to draw up to 1.5 amps of current.
skepticwulf
At the back of my music keyboard's electric adaptor it says
"INPUT: 230V, 50Hz 0.2A
OUTPUT: 12V, 1.5A

Suppose my adaptor busted and couldn't find the original replacement.
Can I use a 9V instead? Will it work? Will it has to be 1.5A then?
Power is=I^2 x R as well as I x V, does that mean as long as A value is 1.5A it justifies the formula and voltage is not important??
Will my device burn if I used -say- 24V ?
How flexible I can be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your keyboard requires a 12 volt electrical power source, and nothing else will do. The adapter is there to turn mains electricity, 230 volts it seems, into 12 volt power. Using too little voltage will result in a failure of the keyboards electrical components, but probably won't burn your keyboard up (don't quote me on that). Too high of a voltage is likely to damage it. The amperage output is the rated max that can be safely drawn from the adapter. The keyboard doesn't always draw 1.5 amps, but it can draw up to 1.5 amps, so any adapter needs to be able to safely supply up to 1.5 amps of current at 12 volts. Also, if you do change adapters, keep in mind that the plug that connects the adapter to your device usually has a specific polarity configuration. If you don't use the right plug, then your keyboard can be damaged.

+1 to that.

New adaptor has to be 12V but can be greater than 1.5A.

In addition...Check the symbols on the adaptor to make sure its' 12V DC you need not 12V AC.

In my experience a bit lower voltage almost always worked fine in many appliances wo/ motors (it shouldn't damage anything, at worst it won't work or malfunction, like any appliance whose battery is depleting), because usually they have a working range (ever the PSU rarely gives off the exact stated voltage, sometimes ever more) Higher voltage can damage or overheat components or short their lifespan, and reversing polarity almost always ends up in pop and smoke

Drakkith said:
The keyboard doesn't always draw 1.5 amps, but it can draw up to 1.5 amps, so any adapter needs to be able to safely supply up to 1.5 amps of current at 12 volts.
Just to expand, this also means any adapter rated for above 1.5 A should work too.

derek10 said:
In my experience a bit lower voltage almost always worked fine in many appliances wo/ motors (it shouldn't damage anything, at worst it won't work or malfunction, like any appliance whose battery is depleting), because usually they have a working range (ever the PSU rarely gives off the exact stated voltage, sometimes ever more) ...
While this is true, unfortunately it is impossible to know without testing.

This is most noticeable and easiest to test for disposable batteries, where different chemistries have different peak voltages and the voltage of battery packs isn't a multiple of the rated voltages of the batteries in the pack. If you have a piece of electronics that fails on low bat and you test the voltage of the battery immediately after the failure, that should tell you the min required.

Thank you.

russ_watters said:
Just to expand, this also means any adapter rated for above 1.5 A should work too

I'm not quite clear on one thing though, Why should an adapter with higher A be ok? doesn't that mean more current drawn and more dangerous??

skepticwulf said:
I'm not quite clear on one thing though, Why should an adapter with higher A be ok? doesn't that mean more current drawn and more dangerous??
The adapter provides the voltage, but the load demands the amperage. So if you use a 2A adapter on a device that needs 1A, the device will draw 1A from the adapter.

Likes CWatters
Russ Watters explained perfectly.
2A on a power supply, for example, means "Maximum current allowed is 2A", NOT "It always provides 2A". It's different to voltage which never varies.

Ok got it, thanks.

Related to Choosing the Right Electric Adaptor for Your Music Keyboard: 9V vs 12V and More!

1. What is the difference between a 9V and 12V electric adaptor for a music keyboard?

The main difference between a 9V and 12V electric adaptor is the voltage output. A 9V adaptor will provide 9 volts of power, while a 12V adaptor will provide 12 volts. This difference in voltage can affect the performance and sound of your music keyboard.

2. How do I know which voltage is required for my specific music keyboard?

The voltage required for your music keyboard should be listed on the device itself or in the user manual. It is important to check this information before purchasing an electric adaptor to ensure compatibility and avoid damaging your keyboard.

3. Can I use a higher voltage adaptor for my music keyboard?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher voltage adaptor for your music keyboard. Doing so can cause damage to the keyboard and potentially create safety hazards. It is best to use the voltage specified by the manufacturer.

4. Is it safe to use a universal adaptor for my music keyboard?

It is generally safe to use a universal adaptor for your music keyboard as long as the voltage and polarity match the specifications of your keyboard. However, it is always best to use an adaptor specifically designed for your keyboard to ensure optimal performance and longevity.

5. How can I determine the polarity of my music keyboard?

The polarity of your music keyboard can typically be found on the device itself or in the user manual. It is important to match the polarity of the adaptor to your keyboard to avoid damaging the device. You can also use a multimeter to test the polarity if it is not listed.