Choosing the Best Prism for UV Separation in Solar Radiation - Thesis Guide

• Thread starter trojsi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prism Uv
In summary: Glass tends to attenuate UV, and the attenuation is strongly wavelength dependent. Can you use diffraction instead?the attenuation will be greatly lowered if you use UV A radiation. What wavelengths are you using?What wavelengths are you using?I will try to design the optical stage to get the best signal to noise ratio from the photodiode to get the best measurements. Regarding the photodiode, i will either use one sensitive to uv or else one with normal response with a diffuser.I assume the diffraction formula with sin teta, wavelength and distance, will help me position my photodiodeWhere can I find them cheaper?
trojsi
Hi,
I am working on my thesis which is going to be uv instrumentation using photodiodes.

I had in mind to extract the UV from the whole solar spectrum at sea level. I know that the UV band is narrow compared to visible and IR. I also wish to experiment with the various components like UVA, UVB and UVC which are part of the solar spectrum.

What type of prism do you recommend? size, material etc..

Also I would like to conserve the intensity of the radiation.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Glass tends to attenuate UV, and the attenuation is strongly wavelength dependent. Can you use diffraction instead?

the attenuation will be greatly lowered if you use UV A radiation. What wavelengths are you using?

Superposed_Cat said:
What wavelengths are you using?

Read his message:

trojsi said:
I had in mind to extract the UV from the whole solar spectrum at sea level.

Fused quartz transmits UV radiation (at least the part coming from the sun).
Larger is better, but more expensive.

I know that the UV band is narrow compared to visible and IR.
Narrow in which way?

Quartz is unquestionably better than glass, and it has a nice dispersion in refractive index vs. radiation wavelength. However, it still attenuates in a frequency dependent manner. (You have the same problem with going to even more exotic materials like fluorite.) That's why I suggested diffraction.

If you go with refraction, there will need to be some calibration to remove this effect.

Last edited:
trojsi said:

That last part is almost impossible to be done with a prism because it WILL attenuates. Not only that, depending on the transmission/absorption profile, it will attenuates each wavelength differently. So not only will you not conserve the intensity, you won't get them in the same proportion to each other after the prism.

Using a spectrometer with some sort of a diffraction grating might be the best way to go, as V50 suggested. That is what is commonly used at synchrotron light sources to extract the light from the electron beam passing through an insertion device.

Zz.

I will go for diffraction. What type of diffraction do you think is best for one photodiode?

I will try to design the optical stage to get the best signal to noise ratio from the photodiode to get the best measurements. Regarding the photodiode, i will either use one sensitive to uv or else one with normal response with a diffuser.

I assume the diffraction formula with sin teta, wavelength and distance, will help me position my photodiode

trojsi said:
Hi,
I am working on my thesis which is going to be uv instrumentation using photodiodes.

I had in mind to extract the UV from the whole solar spectrum at sea level. I know that the UV band is narrow compared to visible and IR. I also wish to experiment with the various components like UVA, UVB and UVC which are part of the solar spectrum.

What type of prism do you recommend? size, material etc..

thanks

AFAIK, the instrumentation used in UV spectroscopy is largely the same as visible- I have a small spectrometer (Stellarnet) that operates from 200-900 nm using a single grating and line detector. In fact, Stellarnet and Ocean Optics both make spectrometers specifically designed for field measurements- why are you reinventing existing products?

Related to Choosing the Best Prism for UV Separation in Solar Radiation - Thesis Guide

1) What is a prism for separating UV?

A prism for separating UV is a scientific instrument used to separate ultraviolet (UV) light into its different wavelengths. This process is known as spectroscopy and is commonly used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy.

2) How does a prism for separating UV work?

A prism for separating UV works by using the principle of refraction, where light bends as it passes through a medium. The prism has a triangular shape with two angled surfaces that cause the light to bend at different angles, separating the UV light into its different wavelengths.

3) What are the benefits of using a prism for separating UV?

One of the main benefits of using a prism for separating UV is its ability to provide a precise and accurate measurement of the different wavelengths of UV light. This information can be used to identify different substances and analyze their chemical compositions.

4) How is a prism for separating UV different from other types of prisms?

A prism for separating UV is different from other types of prisms because it is specifically designed to separate UV light. Other prisms may be used for visible light or other wavelengths, but a prism for separating UV is optimized for the shorter wavelengths of UV light.

5) What are some common applications of a prism for separating UV?

A prism for separating UV is commonly used in laboratories for various scientific experiments, such as analyzing chemical compounds, studying the properties of light, and identifying unknown substances. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental testing, and forensics.