Choosing a program/major that fits my career goals?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Cathmore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career Goals
In summary, the individual is currently unsure about their academic path in relation to their career goals in regenerative science and human augmentation. They are considering the first year engineering program and have been advised that it is important to continue learning and growing beyond graduation. Mechatronics may be a relevant field for human augmentation, and many researchers in regenerative medicine have PhDs in developmental biology and biochemistry. Chemical engineering may be a suitable major for combining engineering and biology courses, but the individual should consult with their school for more information.
Cathmore
I've recently realized that I am kind of drifting through university without a certain path, despite the fact that I have very definite career goals. More than anything else I am interested in regenerative science and human augementation, and my eventual ideal career would be working in the research and development in these two subjects. I feel as though no degree or major quite fits with this though, like I'm missing out on critical things other sciences could be teaching me if I focused on the biological aspects or the engineering aspects.

As of right now after a couple years of sciences I'm doing part of the first year Engineering program, and I really enjoy it, but I'm just not sure where it will lead me, and if it will get me anywhere near my goals.

Any program suggestions or recommendations? I'd like to stay within BC, but I would leave my province, but not my country to enter a different program.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a lot of students make this mistake that 'your education ends when you leave college.' Truth is that it begins. Yes, you may miss some biological aspect if you focus on engineering, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to pick up what you need. I can almost promise you that picking up biology concepts will be easier than most engineering concepts.

No one leaves college knowing everything they will need to know to do well at a job. They leave with the ability to learn how to learn what they need to do. Just look at it like this. So with that said, I'll focus on some aspect of engineer, as for what subfield, I'm not an expert on that.

Human augmentation as in exoskeletons and the like? I think mechatronics is what deals with this.

A lot of the cutting-edge research in regenerative medicine involves stem cells. From what I've seen, most people working with stem cells have PhDs in fields such as developmental biology and biochemistry. Many of these people also have MD degrees as well, but I don't think that's necessarily a prerequisite.

If you enjoy your engineering program, then I think you should stick with it. People with engineering degrees can and do go on to get doctorate degrees in biology, chemistry, etc. I would recommend chemical engineering because some of your required courses (organic chemistry, biochemistry, etc.) are prerequisites for certain upper-level biology electives that you may want to take in addition to your engineering courses. But to be sure, you should check with your school to find out the details.

First of all, it's great that you have a clear idea of your career goals and interests in regenerative science and human augmentation. It's important to have a direction in mind when choosing a program or major.

It's understandable that you may feel like no degree or major quite fits with your interests, as these are emerging fields that may not have specific programs dedicated to them yet. However, there are a few options you can consider.

One option is to pursue a degree in a related field, such as biomedical engineering or biotechnology, and then specialize in regenerative science and human augmentation through electives, research opportunities, and internships. This way, you can gain a strong foundation in both the biological and engineering aspects and apply them to your specific interests.

Another option is to pursue a degree in one of the traditional sciences, such as biology or engineering, and then pursue a graduate degree in regenerative science or human augmentation. This will allow you to gain a deeper understanding of these subjects and specialize in them at a higher level.

You can also consider looking into interdisciplinary programs that combine different fields, such as bioengineering or biomedical sciences, which may have a stronger focus on regenerative science and human augmentation.

Ultimately, it's important to choose a program that aligns with your interests and provides you with the skills and knowledge you need to achieve your career goals. Don't be afraid to reach out to professors or professionals in these fields for advice and guidance. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

Related to Choosing a program/major that fits my career goals?

1. How do I determine which program or major is the best fit for my career goals?

The best way to determine which program or major is the best fit for your career goals is to research and explore different fields and industries. Consider what skills and interests align with your career goals and look for programs or majors that offer courses and opportunities in those areas. You can also speak with professionals in your desired field and seek guidance from career counselors or advisors.

2. Should I choose a program or major based on the job market?

While it may be tempting to choose a program or major solely based on the job market, it's important to also consider your interests and strengths. It's important to choose a program or major that you are passionate about and will enjoy studying, as this will ultimately lead to a more fulfilling and successful career.

3. Can I switch programs or majors if my career goals change?

Yes, you can switch programs or majors if your career goals change. However, it's important to carefully consider the implications of switching and make sure that the new program or major aligns with your new career goals. Switching programs or majors may also result in additional time and coursework, so it's important to plan accordingly.

4. Are there any specific programs or majors that are better for certain career goals?

Certain programs or majors may be better suited for certain career goals, but it ultimately depends on your individual interests and strengths. For example, a business degree may be beneficial for someone interested in a career in finance, while a psychology degree may be more beneficial for someone interested in a career in counseling. It's important to research and consider your personal strengths and interests when choosing a program or major.

5. Should I consider internships or co-op programs when choosing a program or major?

Internships and co-op programs can be extremely valuable when choosing a program or major that fits your career goals. These opportunities allow you to gain hands-on experience and explore different industries and roles within your chosen field. They can also help you make connections and build a network, which can be beneficial when searching for a job after graduation.