Q&A with Astronauts, Aerospace Engineers, and Astrophysicists

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary: Summary: In summary, the conversation is about a meeting with astronauts, aerospace engineers, and astrophysicists. The main topic is the Mars space missions and the use of different propulsion systems, with a question being asked about the current solar maximum and its potential impact on a mission to Mars. Some possible propulsion systems mentioned include chemical propellants, solar sails, ion propulsion, fission heating, and matter/antimatter. The individual who asked the question also did some additional research on the topic.
PRodQuanta
I'm going to be around some astronaunts and aerospace engineers tomarrow. Also maybe some astrophysicists. Does anybody have some questions they'd like me to ask? I think it is about the Mars space missions, and the whole moon deal. Although, I think they will be looking for a wide range of questions. Bring em on!

Paden Roder

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some member asked this a few weeks ago: What sort of propulsion system is likely to be used for the first manned Martian mission? I wonder what they would say. Chemical propellants that are already in use today would be my guess. But then there's solar sails, ion propulsion, fission heating of an inert liquid, matter/antimatter, and probably several other possibilities.

Janitor said: Some member asked this a few weeks ago: What sort of propulsion system is likely to be used for the first manned Martian mission? I wonder what they would say. Chemical propellants that are already in use today would be my guess. But then there's solar sails, ion propulsion, fission heating of an inert liquid, matter/antimatter, and probably several other possibilities.
I did a little reading on this. Thanks.

Paden Roder

Question for Mars team

Was this mission kinda nervewracking due to the current solar maximum and the not knowing if a big solar flair would come up during the flight? Were the computers and memories sheilded for a worst case solar wind?

It seems more optimal to go to Mars 5 years from now at the low solar flair cycle.

Steve Stillman
Shrewsbury MA USA

steve stillman said: Was this mission kinda nervewracking due to the current solar maximum and the not knowing if a big solar flair would come up during the flight? Were the computers and memories sheilded for a worst case solar wind?
Good question.

Paden Roder

1. What is the purpose of Q&A sessions with astronauts, aerospace engineers, and astrophysicists?

Q&A sessions with astronauts, aerospace engineers, and astrophysicists allow individuals to directly engage with experts in the field and ask questions about their work, research, and experiences. It is an opportunity to gain insights and knowledge about the vast world of space exploration and science.

2. How can I participate in a Q&A session with astronauts, aerospace engineers, and astrophysicists?

Many universities, organizations, and events host Q&A sessions with astronauts, aerospace engineers, and astrophysicists. You can check their websites or social media pages to see if they have any upcoming sessions. Additionally, some sessions may be live-streamed or recorded, allowing you to participate remotely.

3. What kind of questions can I ask during a Q&A session with astronauts, aerospace engineers, and astrophysicists?

You can ask a wide range of questions related to space exploration, engineering, and astrophysics. Some examples include inquiries about the latest space missions, technological advancements, career advice, or personal experiences of the experts. It is always best to prepare your questions beforehand and avoid asking anything too personal or controversial.

4. Is there a cost to attend a Q&A session with astronauts, aerospace engineers, and astrophysicists?

It depends on the organizer and the event. Some Q&A sessions may be free to attend, while others may have a registration fee. If there is a cost, it is usually to cover the expenses of hosting the event and bringing in the experts. However, there may be opportunities to attend for free, such as through scholarships or contests.

5. Can I ask follow-up questions during a Q&A session with astronauts, aerospace engineers, and astrophysicists?

Yes, if time allows, you may be able to ask follow-up questions during a Q&A session. However, it is essential to be respectful of others' time and avoid monopolizing the conversation. If you have many follow-up questions, consider reaching out to the experts after the session or attending future events to continue the discussion.