Choose the correct snapshot graph longitudinal waves

In summary, the conversation is about interpreting a graph with displacement and equilibrium spacing. The speaker is unsure of how to read the graph, but another person suggests that D represents displacement from equilibrium and provides a guide for interpreting the graph. Based on this information, it is determined that the correct answer is "a."
firezap

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/4dL6TQY.jpg

I don't know how to read the figure or the graphs. O_O

Physics news on Phys.org
firezap said:

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/4dL6TQY.jpg

I don't know how to read the figure or the graphs. O_O

I think that D is the displacement from equilibrium. Negative D ==> closer than equilibrium, Positive D ==> greater than equilibrium spacing. D = 0 ==> equilibrium spacing
The first two "atoms" are spaced 1 cm apart, which is equal to the equilibrium spacing. From these clues, it looks like "a" to me, but things look screwy to me after the first four cm... It would help to know how D is being calculated...

It's a. I look at the graph at x = 3cm and displacement = -1cm. The dot would move left 1cm, so the dot is at 2.

firezap said:
It's a. I look at the graph at x = 3cm and displacement = -1cm. The dot would move left 1cm, so the dot is at 2.
Yes, it's a.

Related to Choose the correct snapshot graph longitudinal waves

1. What are longitudinal waves?

Longitudinal waves are a type of mechanical wave that travel through a medium by creating compressions and rarefactions. These waves are characterized by the particles of the medium moving parallel to the direction of the wave.

2. How can I identify a longitudinal wave in a snapshot graph?

In a snapshot graph of a longitudinal wave, the wave will appear as a series of compressions and rarefactions. The distance between each compression or rarefaction represents the wavelength of the wave, and the amplitude of the wave is the distance between the crest (highest point) and trough (lowest point) of the wave.

3. How do I know if I have chosen the correct snapshot graph for a longitudinal wave?

To ensure that you have chosen the correct snapshot graph for a longitudinal wave, check that the wave is moving in the correct direction (parallel to the x-axis) and that the compressions and rarefactions are evenly spaced and have the correct amplitude and wavelength.

4. What is the difference between a longitudinal wave and a transverse wave?

A longitudinal wave travels through a medium by creating compressions and rarefactions, while a transverse wave travels through a medium by creating crests and troughs. The particles in a longitudinal wave move parallel to the direction of the wave, while the particles in a transverse wave move perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

5. How are longitudinal waves used in real life?

Longitudinal waves have many practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include sound waves (which are longitudinal) used for communication and medical ultrasound imaging, seismic waves used to study and predict earthquakes, and shock waves used in supersonic travel and medical treatments.