Choice of source photon production in entanglement experiments

In summary, the two types of production methods used for investigating entanglement are polarization-entangled photon pairs and nonlinear crystal experiments.
moving_on
Just a quick question regarding the sources used for investigating entanglement (of photons). There are two types of production method as I understand it:

('Fundamentals of quantum optics and quantum information', Peter Lambropoulos, David Petrosyan, 2006, Springer): Page 242

"In fact, most of the experimental tests of Bell's inequalities have been performed using polarization-entangled photon pairs. These include a series of pioneering experiments by Aspect and coworkers, using atomic radiative cascade, as well as a number of experiments by several teams using nonlinear crystals to realize spontaneous parametric down-conversion. In the former experiments, a high-efficiency source of pairs of photons ... was obtained... The polarization entanglement of the photons comes about because of angular momentum conservation. Since relative to photons, the atoms are massive objects, their recoil during photon emission is negligible. Therefore... the propogation directions of the two photons are also strongly correlated, due to energy and momentum conservation. In the experiments with nonlinear crystals... here again, angular momentum is conservation imposes polarization entanglement between the photons, while phase-matching conditions result in a finite angle between propogation directions of the photons, which make it possible to redirect each photon to its own measuring apparatus"

So my questions is:
is there anything (other than ease-of-use for the particular experiments conducted) that
prevents us from swapping source? I.e. could Aspect have used SPDC and the Quantum
Erasor teams used a radiative cascade source and achieved the same results as they
did?

This is probably sounds like a really dumb question but I just feel like I'm missing something fundamental here but I can't see what?

Physics news on Phys.org
moving_on said:
Just a quick question regarding the sources used for investigating entanglement (of photons). There are two types of production method as I understand it:

('Fundamentals of quantum optics and quantum information', Peter Lambropoulos, David Petrosyan, 2006, Springer): Page 242

"In fact, most of the experimental tests of Bell's inequalities have been performed using polarization-entangled photon pairs. These include a series of pioneering experiments by Aspect and coworkers, using atomic radiative cascade, as well as a number of experiments by several teams using nonlinear crystals to realize spontaneous parametric down-conversion. In the former experiments, a high-efficiency source of pairs of photons ... was obtained... The polarization entanglement of the photons comes about because of angular momentum conservation. Since relative to photons, the atoms are massive objects, their recoil during photon emission is negligible. Therefore... the propogation directions of the two photons are also strongly correlated, due to energy and momentum conservation. In the experiments with nonlinear crystals... here again, angular momentum is conservation imposes polarization entanglement between the photons, while phase-matching conditions result in a finite angle between propogation directions of the photons, which make it possible to redirect each photon to its own measuring apparatus"

So my questions is:
is there anything (other than ease-of-use for the particular experiments conducted) that
prevents us from swapping source? I.e. could Aspect have used SPDC and the Quantum
Erasor teams used a radiative cascade source and achieved the same results as they
did?

This is probably sounds like a really dumb question but I just feel like I'm missing something fundamental here but I can't see what?

If PDC had been easily available when Aspect did his work, he probably would have used that. But conceptually, there is no difference. In either case, there are conservation rules that govern the entangled state.

Thanks as ever Dr. C.
I'm thinking about the half-wave plate (e.g. 'Observation of a "quantum eraser": a revival of coherence in a two-photon interference experiment': Kwait, Steinberg, Chiao, Physical Review A, Vol 35, No 11) and I need to think more in order to be able to phrase clearly what I need to ask. I'll have to sleep on it.

Related to Choice of source photon production in entanglement experiments

1. What is the purpose of choosing a specific source photon in entanglement experiments?

The source photon is chosen in order to create entangled photon pairs that will be used in experiments to study quantum entanglement. Different types of source photons can produce different types of entangled pairs, allowing for a wider range of experiments and applications.

2. How is the source photon selected in entanglement experiments?

The source photon is typically selected based on its wavelength or energy level. This is because different wavelengths or energies can produce different types of entangled pairs, such as polarization-entangled pairs or time-entangled pairs.

3. Are there any limitations to the choice of source photon in entanglement experiments?

Yes, there are limitations to the choice of source photon in entanglement experiments. For example, the source photon must have a high level of coherence in order to produce entangled pairs. Additionally, the source photon must be able to produce photons with a high level of entanglement, which may not be possible with all types of source photons.

4. How does the choice of source photon affect the results of entanglement experiments?

The choice of source photon can greatly impact the results of entanglement experiments. Different types of source photons can produce different levels of entanglement, which can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results obtained. Additionally, the choice of source photon can also determine the type of entangled pairs produced, which can affect the applicability of the results to different areas of research.

5. Can different types of source photons be used together in entanglement experiments?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple types of source photons in entanglement experiments. This can allow for more complex and diverse experiments, as well as a greater range of entangled pair types to be created. However, careful consideration must be taken when combining different source photons to ensure that they are compatible and will not interfere with each other's entanglement properties.