Choice of reference potential in electrostatics

In summary, the concept of zero potential in electrostatics is often assigned to infinity or ground. However, in certain problems, both ground and infinity can be used as zero potential simultaneously. This is because ground is considered as a conductor of infinite extent, making it equivalent to infinity in terms of potential. However, the potential of an infinite charged plate cannot be defined with respect to infinity, as the electric field and potential vary at different distances from the plate. Therefore, in such cases, the zero of potential cannot be chosen as infinity.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

While solving problems in electrostatics we assign zero of potential to infinity .But we also assign zero to ground as well.

Now there are electrostatics problems where we use both ground and infinity as zero potential .How is that we have two zero potentials within a same problem?

Is there something common in infinity and ground such that we can choose them as zero potential simultaneously ?

Could somebody help me understand this ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
In practice, the ground is made by sticking a metal rod into wet soil. So you can consider the "ground" as a conductor of infinite extent, at the same potential as infinity.

"Infinity" is not always appropriate to choose as zero of the potential. Think of an infinite charged plate. ehild

ehild said:
In practice, the ground is made by sticking a metal rod into wet soil. So you can consider the "ground" as a conductor of infinite extent, at the same potential as infinity.

"Infinity" is not always appropriate to choose as zero of the potential. Think of an infinite charged plate.

ehild

Thank you ehild

When we say "infinity" we consider some very far off place such that force of interaction between charges is zero.How do we think it as an infinite charged plate ?

Vibhor said:
Thank you ehild

When we say "infinity" we consider some very far off place such that force of interaction between charges is zero.How do we think it as an infinite charged plate ?

I did not say that infinity is an infinite charged plate. I asked you what is the potential of an infinite charged plate with respect to infinity?

ehild

ehild said:
I did not say that infinity is an infinite charged plate. I asked you what is the potential of an infinite charged plate with respect to infinity?

ehild

I think it is zero .Right?

Is the potential of infinite charged plate zero with respect to infinity ?

Vibhor said:
Is the potential of infinite charged plate zero with respect to infinity ?

No. It can not be defined. In case you have a very big single charged plate, with the same charge per unit area σ everywhere, then the electric field strength is E=σ/(2ε0) at both sides of the plate at distance d from it. At two different distances, d1 and d2, the potential difference is U(d2)-U(d1) = E(d1-d2).

If d1=0 and d2=d, U(0)=Ed+U(d). You can choose U(d) as the zero of the potential. The potential of the plate with respect to the potential at distance d is Ed. If you choose d infinite far, the potential of the plate is infinite.

In the real life, plates of infinite extent do not exist. Very far away from a big charged plate, it looks small, and the electric field approximates that of a point charge, and the potential goes to zero. But close to the plate, the potential changes linearly with the distance from the plate.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
So you can consider the "ground" as a conductor of infinite extent, at the same potential as infinity.

ehild

The work done in bringing a unit positive charge from infinity to infinite extending conductor(i.e ground) should be zero.

Again,if we assign zero potential to infinity and zero potential to infinite extending conductor ,then,the relative potential of the conductor should be zero.

But you say it cannot be defined .
ehild said:
No. It can not be defined.

I am unable to understand.

Vibhor said:
The work done in bringing a unit positive charge from infinity to infinite extending conductor(i.e ground) should be zero.

I meant the potential of a charged plate of very big (infinite) size. For that, infinite is not an appropriate reference.

When we speak about ground, it is considered at zero potential.

ehild

Oh! I am sorry.I misunderstood what you were saying.

ehild said:
So you can consider the "ground" as a conductor of infinite extent, at the same potential as infinity.
ehild

Why ? This is the original question .Why ground is considered at same potential as that of infinity?

Is my reasoning in post#8 correct?

Edit..removed...my misunderstanding

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
This is the original question .Why ground is considered at same potential as that of infinity?

Is my reasoning in post#8 correct?

First, you can choose the zero of the potential at any place. The potential is defined by an additive constant. For a point charge, it is convenient to choose the potential tending to zero at infinity. In that case, it is kQ/r at distance r.

When ground is involved in a problem you might bring "infinity", the zero of potential, close to the charges. But the electric field becomes different from that when the zero of the potential is far away, at infinity. See picture. In case of the left one, the potential is zero at infinity. For the right one, the potential is zero at the ground and also at infinity.

And there are problems when the potential is not defined with respect to infinity. In case of infinite charged plate or infinite long charged wire.

ehild

Attachments

• groundinf.JPG
    groundinf.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 407

Related to Choice of reference potential in electrostatics

1. What is a reference potential in electrostatics?

A reference potential is a point or location in a system that is used as a starting point for measuring the electrical potential of other points in the system. It is often chosen as a point of zero potential, making it easier to calculate and compare potentials at different locations.

2. How is the reference potential chosen?

The choice of reference potential depends on the specific system and the convenience of calculations. In some cases, it may be chosen as the point of zero charge or the point of minimum energy. It can also be chosen arbitrarily, as long as it is consistent throughout the system for accurate calculations.

3. What are the implications of choosing a different reference potential?

Choosing a different reference potential can affect the calculated potential values at different points in the system. However, as long as the same reference potential is used consistently, the overall results and conclusions should not be impacted.

4. Can the reference potential be changed after calculations have been performed?

Yes, the reference potential can be changed after calculations have been performed, but this may require recalculating potential values at different points in the system. It is usually recommended to choose a reference potential before starting calculations for simplicity.

5. How does the choice of reference potential affect the electric field?

The choice of reference potential does not directly affect the electric field. However, the electric field can be calculated by taking the gradient of the electric potential, so any changes in the reference potential may result in minor changes in the electric field values.