Choice of 2 options for Mechanical Engineering Course - Vibrations or Mechanisms

In summary: Vibrations can be applied to a variety of applications that Mechanisms cannot, such as aerospace engineering and medical devices.
bmed90
Good evening,

I am unsure as to whether or not I am posting this question in the apropraite section of the this forum and apologize if I am not. With that said I will let you in on the question that I have for you tonight.

I am currently a fourth year undergraduate student pursuing a degree in Biomedical Engineering, and I have recently decided to go for the Mechanical Engineering minor.
In order to complete this task I will have to take one of the two courses listed below. Each course has a general description of the course.

ME 365- "Mechanisms" - kinematics & dynamics of mechanical linkages, gears, & cams. Balancing multicylinder engines"

or ME 463 -"Vibrations" - free and forced response systems with Multiple Degrees of Freedom. Response to arbritary excitation. Lagrange's equation. Introduction to continuous systems. Vibration absorbers & rotor balancing

System Dynamics is the only prerequisite for each course which I am currently enrolled in.

With that said I am not sure which course I should choose. If anyone has any advice or experience with either of these courses I would apreciate advice and input on the situation

also

Which course do you think would be more useful for a BME major?
Which course would havea greater difficlty level?

Those are just some examples of some questions of mine that would be nice to have answered. Once again any input or advice is apreciated. I really enjoy what I am learning in my system dynamics course and am leaning towards ME 465 -Vibrations. Feel free to give your input and advice

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
So, Vibrations or mechanisms

I'm taking Vibrations right now and am loving it!
I've taken a Mechanisms course in the past that sounds similar to the one you described and found it rather monotonous (lots of formulas without much theoretical background), but that may have been due to the professor I had...
I don't have extensive background in Biomedical Engineering, but I do think that Vibrations may be more useful to you than Mechanisms- especially in areas like signal analysis and vibroacoustic therapy.

Related to Choice of 2 options for Mechanical Engineering Course - Vibrations or Mechanisms

1. Should I choose Vibrations or Mechanisms for my Mechanical Engineering course?

This is a common question for students who are interested in Mechanical Engineering. The answer depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you are interested in studying the behavior of mechanical systems in motion, Vibrations may be the better choice for you. If you are more interested in designing, analyzing, and creating mechanical devices, Mechanisms would be a better fit.

2. Which course is more difficult - Vibrations or Mechanisms?

Both courses require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. However, Vibrations may be more challenging for students who struggle with advanced calculus and differential equations, while Mechanisms may be more difficult for those who struggle with spatial visualization and problem-solving.

3. Can I take both Vibrations and Mechanisms courses?

Yes, many universities offer students the option to take both courses. However, it is important to consider your workload and course prerequisites before enrolling in both courses. It is recommended to speak with an academic advisor for guidance.

4. How will the choice of either course impact my future career opportunities?

Both Vibrations and Mechanisms are important areas of study in mechanical engineering and can lead to a variety of career opportunities. Depending on your interests and career goals, one course may be more relevant to your desired career path. However, it is also possible to combine the knowledge and skills gained from both courses in your future career.

5. Which course is more applicable in real-world engineering scenarios?

Both Vibrations and Mechanisms have practical applications in real-world engineering scenarios. Vibrations is particularly useful in fields such as aerospace engineering, automotive engineering, and structural engineering, while Mechanisms is essential for designing and creating mechanical devices such as engines, robots, and machinery.