Chlorophyll and the Photoelectric Effect

In summary, the photoelectric effect is used to explain how chlorophyll fluoresces in the presence of UV light. Chlorophyll has a lot of allowed energy levels, and when it is exposed to UV light, the energy is released in the form of red photons.
merryjman

Homework Statement

I have been trying to put together a lesson on the photoelectric effect applied to biology and chemistry concepts, and have been unable to find an explanation for some things. Here is some background:

When chlorophyll is extracted from a green plant (say, with acetone) the resulting solution will fluoresce bright red when exposed to UV light. I gather that the magnesium atom in the center of chlorophyll's porphyrin ring captures the UV photon and excites an electron via the photoelectric effect, and in the presence of the cytochrome complex will donate the excited electron into the ETC. This explains why ordinary leaves do not fluoresce, but ground up leaves - in which some the chloroplasts have been ruptured - will fluoresce.

My questions:

#1) Obviously, red is a lower energy photon than UV, so where does that missing energy go? Is there first an emission of a slightly lower-energy UV, followed by a red? That's the only thing I can think of to explain the rather large amount of missing energy.

Or maybe the energy of the red photons corresponds to the excess energy that the excited electron would have had if it had been transferred to photosystem II?

#2) Why red? It stands to reason that specific red color corresponds to the active wavelength of P680, the pigment present in photosystem II, but I have no basis for why that is, or how it occurs. Which I suppose makes this a corollary to question #1, specifically HOW that particular color is emitted.

I realize that (a) my knowledge is patchy at best and therefore likely to be wrong, and (b) a suitable answer would be very long. Any help and/or references would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
merryjman said:

Homework Statement

I have been trying to put together a lesson on the photoelectric effect applied to biology and chemistry concepts, and have been unable to find an explanation for some things. Here is some background:

When chlorophyll is extracted from a green plant (say, with acetone) the resulting solution will fluoresce bright red when exposed to UV light. I gather that the magnesium atom in the center of chlorophyll's porphyrin ring captures the UV photon and excites an electron via the photoelectric effect, and in the presence of the cytochrome complex will donate the excited electron into the ETC. This explains why ordinary leaves do not fluoresce, but ground up leaves - in which some the chloroplasts have been ruptured - will fluoresce.

My questions:

#1) Obviously, red is a lower energy photon than UV, so where does that missing energy go? Is there first an emission of a slightly lower-energy UV, followed by a red? That's the only thing I can think of to explain the rather large amount of missing energy.

Or maybe the energy of the red photons corresponds to the excess energy that the excited electron would have had if it had been transferred to photosystem II?

#2) Why red? It stands to reason that specific red color corresponds to the active wavelength of P680, the pigment present in photosystem II, but I have no basis for why that is, or how it occurs. Which I suppose makes this a corollary to question #1, specifically HOW that particular color is emitted.

I realize that (a) my knowledge is patchy at best and therefore likely to be wrong, and (b) a suitable answer would be very long. Any help and/or references would be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, I do not know anything about the energy levels of Chlorophyll, so I write only general things.

Chlorophyll, like all atoms and molecules have a lot of allowed energy levels, but transition between them can happen with higher and lower probability. A molecule can be exited to a high energy level with UV light, and then it tends back to reach its ground state. It is possible that the direct transition is less probable than going down in more smaller steps, and the wavelength of the photons emitted during these transitions are outside the visible range. Chlorophyll has got a very strong absorption band in the red, that is why we see the leaves green, complementer of red. Absorbing that red photon the molecule gets into at a special excited state. If it arrives in this state after the UV excitation, it will radiate a red photon when returning to the ground level , unless there is an other more favourable way to get rid of energy.
ehild

Attachments

• chlorophyll.JPG
    chlorophyll.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 418
there is no photoelectric effect here.

I can provide some clarification on the concepts of chlorophyll and the photoelectric effect. Chlorophyll is a pigment found in plants that is responsible for absorbing light energy and converting it into chemical energy through the process of photosynthesis. The photoelectric effect, on the other hand, is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or energy.

In the case of chlorophyll, the magnesium atom in the center of its porphyrin ring is able to capture and absorb UV light, exciting an electron through the photoelectric effect. This excited electron is then transferred to the electron transport chain (ETC) where it helps to produce ATP, the energy currency of the cell.

To address your first question, the missing energy is not lost but rather utilized in the process of photosynthesis. The excited electron is transferred to the ETC, where it is used to power the production of ATP. This process is known as chemiosmosis. Additionally, the red fluorescence observed is likely due to the re-emission of the absorbed UV light at a lower energy level.

As for your second question, the specific red color observed is likely due to the specific structure and composition of the chlorophyll molecule. The porphyrin ring, with its alternating single and double bonds, is responsible for absorbing light of specific wavelengths, resulting in the observed red fluorescence.

I would recommend further reading on the structure and function of chlorophyll and the process of photosynthesis to gain a better understanding of these concepts. Additionally, consulting with a biology or chemistry expert may also help in understanding the specifics of these processes.

Related to Chlorophyll and the Photoelectric Effect

1. What is chlorophyll?

Chlorophyll is a green pigment found in plants and algae that is responsible for absorbing sunlight and converting it into energy through the process of photosynthesis.

2. How does chlorophyll contribute to photosynthesis?

Chlorophyll molecules absorb sunlight and use the energy to convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose (sugar) and oxygen. This process is essential for the survival of plants and the production of oxygen in our atmosphere.

3. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where certain materials, such as metals, emit electrons when exposed to light. This was first observed by Albert Einstein and plays a crucial role in the conversion of light energy into electrical energy in solar cells.

4. How does the photoelectric effect relate to chlorophyll?

In photosynthesis, the energy from sunlight is captured by chlorophyll molecules and transferred to electrons, causing them to be emitted and flow through a series of reactions. This process is similar to the photoelectric effect, where light energy is converted into electrical energy.

5. Can the photoelectric effect occur without chlorophyll?

Yes, the photoelectric effect can occur in any material that has a suitable band gap and is exposed to light. While chlorophyll is essential for photosynthesis, other materials such as metals can also exhibit the photoelectric effect and be used in solar cells.