Chlorfoam - hazard as a cleaner

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hazard
In summary, this detergent is very powerful and can be dangerous if not diluted properly. It is also caustic and should be used with gloves.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Chlorfoam is a very powerful single stage detergent disinfectant, it is formulated to produce a stable clinging foam giving long contact times

Specific gravity 1.14
pH 1% solution 12.3
Active Alkalinity 5% w/w as Na2O
Active Biocide 3% Av. Cl (1% v/v solution gives 350 ppm Av. Cl

This is copied from the fact sheet, can anyone tell me if this is a dangerous cleaner
would it react with fruit acid?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
'Dangerous' is a relative term. The pH indicates that it is caustic. pH 12.3 can be dangerous unless ppe is employed. The available chlorine (expressed as ppm Cl2) is high and will certainly react with fruit acids which are generally both acidic and antioxidant in nature. The basic nature of this detergent will certainly react with any acids, including fruit acids in an acid/base fashion. The deprotonated acids are susceptible to oxidation, which this cleaner has as well. The fruit acids I am thinking about are ascorbic, malic, tartaric, and maleic. Other compounds generally found in fruit acid formulations are also considered antioxidants. Consider, for example, resveratrol, which as three acidic phenolic protons. This detergent would wreck this structure.

Last edited:
Thank you, chemisttree, i know nothing about chemistry, but i do read labels on containers,
when i noticed that the people using this product were no way measuring the dilution i asked the question, it seems that none of them were aware of the dangers apart from being told to use a face mask.
I also worried that putting this cleaner on fruit may give off harmful gas.

wolram said:
Thank you, chemisttree, i know nothing about chemistry, but i do read labels on containers,
when i noticed that the people using this product were no way measuring the dilution i asked the question, it seems that none of them were aware of the dangers apart from being told to use a face mask.
I also worried that putting this cleaner on fruit may give off harmful gas.

I hope this isn't related to your other 'gas' post (human methane)! It shouldn't give off any gas other than the chlorine. This detergent should be used with adequate ventilation as well. At 1% it is pH 12.3... that's pretty caustic. Standard chlorine bleach is something like 5% to 6% available Cl so this is roughly as active as standard bleach diluted 1:1... pretty strong as I see it. I would definitely wear gloves if I were handling this routinely. If it were to come in contact with enough concentrated acid in its undiluted form, you might clear the room. Otherwise the acid/base reactivity should be benign.

Thanks chem, we have had one accident all ready with mixing caustic and acid, untrained staff, so i keep my eyes open.

Related to Chlorfoam - hazard as a cleaner

1. What is Chlorfoam?

Chlorfoam is a chemical cleaner that is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings.

2. What are the hazards associated with Chlorfoam?

Chlorfoam can be hazardous if it comes into contact with skin, eyes, or is inhaled. It can also be harmful to the environment.

3. How is Chlorfoam typically used?

Chlorfoam is often used to clean and degrease surfaces and equipment in industrial and commercial settings. It is also used as a disinfectant in some cases.

4. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using Chlorfoam?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling Chlorfoam. It should also be used in a well-ventilated area and never mixed with other chemicals.

5. What should I do if I come into contact with Chlorfoam?

If Chlorfoam comes into contact with your skin or eyes, immediately rinse with water for at least 15 minutes. If inhaled, move to an area with fresh air. In all cases, seek medical attention if irritation or symptoms persist.