Has biology ever predicted an organisms action exactly correctly?

• Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, the conversation discusses whether biology has been able to accurately predict an organism's actions through equations and experiments. It is mentioned that the development of the small nematode worm, C. elegans, can be predicted with high accuracy, including which cells will die during development. There is also mention of computer programs predicting bacterial behavior, but their limitations in predicting more complex traits. The conversation ends with a request for citations and further information.
Mattius_
Has biology ever predicted an organisms action exactly correctly?

meaning, has biology ever reduced an organism down to an equation, and had it work multiple times in experiments, and then singled out variables and applied them to other experiments?

if biology hasnt, how close has it gotten? on which organisms?

The root of my question here is: are single cells, or other small organisms determined?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
That is a complex question. I can give you an example.

C. elegans is a small nematode worm. Every single detail of its cell lineage is know (about 1000 cells) researchers know exactly how the development of the organism will go from the moment of fertilization. This example has already multiple times the last week, so I am sorry if you've already read it :) Interesting is also that researchers know exactly which cells will die during the development.

I seem to recall computer programs predicting bacterial behaviour, but I not sure anymore what the trait was. And for the more complex traits the computers don't have enough capacity to calculate such things, doesn't mean it is not possible.

Interesting question though!

thanks for the very important info.. Can you please give me citations so i can do further research? It would be VERY much appreciated.

Anyone else have relevating information?

1. Has there been a specific instance where biology accurately predicted an organism's action?

Yes, there have been multiple instances where biology has accurately predicted an organism's action. One notable example is the migration patterns of birds. Through studying their biology and understanding their navigation abilities, scientists were able to predict their annual migration routes with great accuracy.

2. How does biology make predictions about an organism's actions?

Biology makes predictions about an organism's actions by studying its anatomy, physiology, behavior, and genetics. This information is then used to create models and simulations that can help predict an organism's actions in different scenarios.

3. Is biology always able to predict an organism's actions correctly?

No, biology is not always able to predict an organism's actions with 100% accuracy. This is because there are many factors that can influence an organism's behavior, and biology can only provide a general understanding of how an organism may act in a given situation.

4. Can biology predict an organism's actions in real-time?

Yes, with the advancement of technology and the use of real-time data collection, biology can now make more accurate predictions about an organism's actions in real-time. This is especially useful in fields such as ecology and animal behavior research.

5. How does the accuracy of biological predictions compare to other forms of prediction?

The accuracy of biological predictions can vary depending on the complexity of the organism and the specific situation being studied. Generally, biological predictions are considered to be more accurate than other forms of prediction, such as weather forecasting, due to the extensive research and understanding of the organism's biology that goes into making the prediction.