Ozone hole over the ice continent could grow [in 2003]

In summary, Australian scientists have warned that the ozone hole over the ice continent could potentially reach a record size in 2003. This prediction is based on a rare cloud formation in the southern Arctic, indicating colder air mixing and a possible increase in the size of the ozone hole. A photo showing this phenomenon has been circulating, but it is not a "light in the sky" as some have claimed, but rather a natural occurrence.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Australian scientists warn the ozone hole over the ice continent could grow to a record size in 2003

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030822/161/51k7p.html&e=1&ncid=832 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
That's what we call a color enhanced edited photograph.

I've been to Australian and no such "light in the sky" exists...

But who cares? So there's a hole in the ozone and we all die - I find myself not too concerned about this. Should I be!

Originally posted by BiologyForums
That's what we call a color enhanced edited photograph.
I've been to Australian and no such "light in the sky" exists...
But who cares? So there's a hole in the ozone and we all die - I find myself not too concerned about this. Should I be!
Uhhhmmmmm, from looking at the photo, it is NOT a "light in the sky", read the text, it IS a cloud forming in the southern artic.
That is considered rare, and is an indication of colder air mixing, hence their deducing that the hole is getting larger.
It is also (probably) NOT a color enhanced photo, simply a 35 mm camera shot that is pointed directly at the setting Sun, hence the colors on the cloud are a reflection of the setting sunlight, (angular, therefore reddened) the blackened foreground shows the F stop, and exposure setting, (timing) were rather high to compensate for the direct lighting.

1. What is the ozone hole over the ice continent?

The ozone hole over the ice continent refers to the significant depletion of ozone layer above Antarctica, which occurs annually during the Southern Hemisphere's springtime.

2. Why is the ozone hole over the ice continent a concern?

The depletion of ozone layer allows more harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun to reach the Earth's surface, increasing the risk of skin cancer and other negative impacts on human health and the environment.

3. Is the ozone hole over the ice continent a recent phenomenon?

No, the ozone hole over the ice continent was first discovered in the 1980s and has been observed every year since then. However, the size and severity of the hole has varied from year to year.

4. What causes the ozone hole over the ice continent to grow?

The main cause of the ozone hole over the ice continent is the release of human-made chemicals, such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which deplete the ozone layer. Changes in atmospheric conditions, such as temperature and wind patterns, can also affect the size and growth of the hole.

5. Can anything be done to prevent the ozone hole over the ice continent from growing?

Yes, in 1987, the Montreal Protocol was put in place to regulate and phase out the production and use of ozone-depleting substances. This international agreement has been successful in reducing the amount of ozone-depleting chemicals in the atmosphere and is expected to lead to the recovery of the ozone layer over time.