Child Safe - RTS motor - roller shutter - shelf shutter

In summary, The conversation discusses the issue of a motorized RTS roller shutter not being child safe and possible solutions. One solution suggested is to code the switch with a password so that only authorized users can operate it. Another suggestion is to replace the switch with one that allows for multiple user codes. The conversation also mentions the use of sensors, such as optical or acoustic, to detect obstacles and make the roller shutter child safe. A specific product, Chamberlain garage door opener replacement safety sensors, is recommended as a solution.
GANESH SHETTI
Greetings Sir, I have a motorized RTS roller shutter (which can be controlled by both hand held remote controller Or wall switch) . The thing is when the motor detects an object, it will put its entire weight on the object and then stop (which means it will suffocate that "object"). Hence we can say that the system has an obstacle detection but its not Child Safe. The main problem is that kids play with the remote controller and below shelf shutter. Please can you suggest a solution to make it completely child safe. Thank You

I discussed this with a supplier, he suggested me to code the switch. by doing so only the person with password can operate the roller shutter.

So I want to code/ enable password to the switch and when I put the password the switch should function ON/OFF. I should be able to function it with my I-phone i.e. away from home.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe replace your switch with this one?

from the link:
Master code and multiple user codes (2 per channel).

dlgoff said:
Maybe replace your switch with this one?

from the link:
Thank you so much! :)

Likes dlgoff
GANESH SHETTI said:
I have a motorized RTS roller shutter
What's a roller shutter?

EDIT -- Like this? How big?

https://www.somfy.be/common/img/library//VR_graphique_anime_EN.gif
VR_graphique_anime_EN.gif

Attachments

• VR_graphique_anime_EN.gif
    VR_graphique_anime_EN.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 503
I'm accustomed to garage door photosensors that detect anything underneath the door and stop or reverse its travel..

GANESH SHETTI said:
The main problem is that kids play with the remote controller and below shelf shutter. Please can you suggest a solution to make it completely child safe. Thank You

Only way to make it child proof is to make it aware of a child in its path.
To that end something needs to look at the door opening to make sure it's clear.
upload_2018-3-2_22-24-42.png

A child has to stand on the floor so one could use an optical sensor close to the ground. But since a kid could get a hand under the door from the wrong side, acoustic ranging from both sides might be worth a try. Perhaps a combination ?

For decades the industry has used inexpensive optical sensors like these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chamber...acement-Safety-Sensors-2-Pack-801CB/100651226
chamberlain-garage-door-opener-accessories-801cb-64_1000.jpg

Product Overview
The Chamberlain garage door opener replacement safety sensors (2-Pack) help make sure your garage remains safe. The sensors project an invisible light beam across the inside of the garage door to ensure that if anything is coming in or going out, that the door automatically reverses before hitting anything or anyone.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-2_22-24-42.png
    upload_2018-3-2_22-24-42.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 510
  • chamberlain-garage-door-opener-accessories-801cb-64_1000.jpg
    chamberlain-garage-door-opener-accessories-801cb-64_1000.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 430
Likes berkeman

Related to Child Safe - RTS motor - roller shutter - shelf shutter

What is a "Child Safe" motor for roller shutters?

A "Child Safe" motor is a type of motor that is specifically designed for use on roller shutters to ensure the safety of children. It typically includes features such as automatic stop and reverse mechanisms to prevent accidents and injuries.

What is an RTS motor for roller shutters?

An RTS (Radio Technology Somfy) motor is a type of motor that uses radio frequency signals to control the operation of roller shutters. It allows for remote control operation and can be integrated with home automation systems.

What is a roller shutter?

A roller shutter is a type of window or door covering that consists of a series of horizontal slats or bars that are hinged together. They can be opened and closed either manually or with the use of a motor.

What is a shelf shutter?

A shelf shutter is a type of roller shutter that is specifically designed for use on shelves or cabinets. It allows for easy access to the contents of the shelf while also providing protection and security.

Why is it important to have a child safe motor for roller shutters?

It is important to have a child safe motor for roller shutters to prevent accidents and injuries, as well as to comply with safety regulations. The automatic stop and reverse mechanisms help to protect children from getting caught in the moving parts of the shutter. It also provides peace of mind for parents and caregivers.