Child-like pleasure in seeing ISS and detached Dragon capsule

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter UsableThought
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's interest in stargazing and their recent realization that there are still enjoyable things to see in the sky despite living in a light-polluted area. They mention using birding binoculars and iPad apps to observe the Earth's shadow and ISS passes. The conversation also touches on the speaker's childhood memories of the Columbia Space Shuttle and upcoming astronomical events.
UsableThought
Last time I looked at the stars for fun must have been when I was 6 or 7 or 8 years old - who knows. Somewhere I learned about the Big Dipper - whether from a parent or from passing through Grand Central Station - but not much more. Very recently I have realized that although I live in a rural-suburban area (lots of light pollution from a nearby small city), and so won't get particularly dark skies, there are still some enjoyable things to see. I'm at the "birding binoculars and a couple of beginner books" stage - augmented by iPad apps.

One thing I'd love to see is the Earth's shadow - and not just see it, but know what it is. Unfortunately where I am we don't have a good horizon view; however, reading about the shadow led me to reading also about visible ISS passes. The iPad apps and web pages make it easy to get notice of these. I had a good opportunity today with 42° max elevation just before dawn; it was a small but enjoyable thrill to see what I had read about.

What was really neat was that I saw it had a companion traveling with it, roughly 1° apart (pinkie finger width) and not nearly so bright. I looked online and this must have been the http://www.spacex.com/dragon sent up by SpaceX with supplies awhile ago; it had been detached ~45 min. earlier & moved away from the station w/ thrusters, prior to the SpaceX controllers sending it into its "de-orbit burn." Link to post on ISS blog: https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2017/09/17/dragon-released-carrying-science-and-gear-back-to-earth/

And here's a pic of what I saw, only from the ISS point of view:

exp53_spacex_dragon_release.jpg

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995, 1oldman2, DrClaude and 2 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
UsableThought said:
One thing I'd love to see is the Earth's shadow - and not just see it, but know what it is.
? Every time you look at the moon, you see the Earth's shadow (except on the one day per 28 when there's a full moon)

Likes Stavros Kiri
phinds said:
? Every time you look at the moon, you see the Earth's shadow (except on the one day per 28 when there's a full moon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_shadow

Last edited:
My child memories go back to Columbia Space shuttle (when e.g. during its first mission I called a 900 number or something to hear the live on board communications (open NASA line, for the first time I think)). It was a lot of fun! It's dead now! :cry: (since 2003)

Likes UsableThought
UsableThought said:
Last time I looked at the stars for fun must have been when I was 6 or 7 or 8 years old - who knows.
Interesting alignments and occultations these days (Sept. 18-20), ideal for child and adult "early bird" observations, starting this morning (some parts of the world can still catch it! ...), tomorrow and wed (Sept. 20).
See:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/space-and-stuff.879196/page-19#post-5843621

phinds said:
The only time you see the Earth's shadow on the moon is during a lunar eclipse. The dark portion of the moon when it isn't full is the moon's shadow (I.e., lunar night), and the faint glow therein is Earth'shine: light reflected off the earth.

Likes UsableThought
TeethWhitener said:
The only time you see the Earth's shadow on the moon is during a lunar eclipse. The dark portion of the moon when it isn't full is the moon's shadow (I.e., lunar night), and the faint glow therein is Earth'shine: light reflected off the earth.
AAARRRGGG ! Nuts. I hate it when I'm stupid. Thanks though.

Likes TeethWhitener

Related to Child-like pleasure in seeing ISS and detached Dragon capsule

1. What causes child-like pleasure in seeing the ISS and detached Dragon capsule?

The feeling of child-like pleasure in seeing the ISS and detached Dragon capsule is likely due to a combination of factors, including the incredible engineering and technology involved in space travel, the sense of wonder and awe that comes from seeing something that is typically only seen in pictures or videos, and the sense of accomplishment and pride in humanity's achievements in space exploration.

2. Can adults experience child-like pleasure in seeing the ISS and detached Dragon capsule?

Yes, adults can definitely experience child-like pleasure in seeing the ISS and detached Dragon capsule. This feeling is not limited to children and can be felt by anyone who has a sense of curiosity and appreciation for space and science.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for the feeling of child-like pleasure in seeing the ISS and detached Dragon capsule?

While there is no one definitive scientific explanation for this feeling, it is likely a combination of neurological and psychological factors. Seeing something as awe-inspiring as the ISS and detached Dragon capsule can trigger the release of dopamine and other feel-good chemicals in the brain, leading to a sense of euphoria and happiness.

4. Can this feeling of child-like pleasure have any long-term impact on a person?

The feeling of child-like pleasure in seeing the ISS and detached Dragon capsule may have a lasting impact on a person in terms of inspiring a deeper interest in space and science, or even motivating them to pursue a career in these fields. It can also serve as a reminder of our place in the universe and the incredible things that humanity is capable of achieving.

5. Are there any health benefits associated with experiencing child-like pleasure in seeing the ISS and detached Dragon capsule?

While there is no direct evidence of health benefits associated with this specific feeling, experiencing child-like pleasure in any form can have positive effects on mental and emotional well-being. It can serve as a stress-reliever and boost overall mood and happiness.