Chi square is useful - but why square?

In summary, the "chi square" is just a name for a particular member of the Gamma(a,b) family of distributions. It is the distribution of a sum of squares, which makes it useful in determining the distribution of a sample variance. The "squared" in the name serves as a reminder of this. The Chi-Square distribution is obtained by adding the squared values of independent standard normal random variables. There is a whole family of Chi-Squares with varying degrees of freedom. The Chi-Square distribution is not the same as the standard normal distribution squared, but rather the distribution of the square of a standard normal random variable.
antevante
Hello!
While conducting chi square -tests I asked my teacher what the "square" means, and why it was there? Why chi squared, and not just chi?
He couldn't give an answer so he told me to find out, as a homework :surprise: ... After a quarter of "Googeling" I gave up.
So, is there anyone out there who knows why there is a square in chi square??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The "chi square" is just a name. The chi square function is actually a particular member of the Gamma(a,b) family of distributions. These are all of the form x^(a-1) exp(-x/b) with appropriate normalization to make them valid probability density functions.

If you start with some number r of independent Normal(0,1) random variables and then form a new random variable by adding the squared value of each of these r variables together then this new variable has a Chi Square distribution. This is the Chi Squared functions claim to fame and obviously makes it useful in determining the distribution of a sample variance. The "squared" in the name is nothing more than a reminder that it is the distribution of a sum of squares.

...or maybe you are wondering why we want the sum of squares?

There are two ways to answer this: the very simple-minded explanation is that, by using the squares, you don't get cancellation between deviations, that would otherwise give you a small deviation in cases where your model is not really good.

Another way o answering this comes from the fact that in many cases, you assume your distribution of errors to be gaussian, and then the sqared deviation shows itself in the exponent of the PDF.

From my understanding, the Chi-Square distribution is the standard normal distribution squared.

Jin314159 said:
From my understanding, the Chi-Square distribution is the standard normal distribution squared.

Well that actually is one particular member of the Chi-Square family (for one degree of freedom). The general Chi-Squared of "r" degrees of freedom is the distribution of the sum or "r" independant standard normal random variables.

Last edited:
uart said:
Well that actually is one particular member of the Chi-Square family (for one degree of freedom). The general Chi-Squared of "r" degrees of freedom is the distribution of the sum or "r" independant standard normal random variables.

Oh yea... there's like a whole family of Chi-squares with varying degrees of freedom.

Jin314159 said:

BTW, there was one thing I missed in your statement before. I know the following may sound a bit “nit picky” but it is a very important distinction.

There is a big difference between “the standard normal distribution squared” and the distribution of the new random variable that is obtained by taking a standard normal random variable and squaring it.

A standard normal distribution squared would simply be of the form,
[tex] \exp(-\frac{x^2}{2} ) * \exp(-\frac{x^2}{2}) = \exp(-x^2)[/tex]

On the other hand the distribution of the square of a standard normal random variable can be shown to be of the form, [tex]x^{-1/2} \exp(-x/2)[/tex], which is the 1st order Chi-Squared function (after appropriate normalization of course).

Last edited:

Related to Chi square is useful - but why square?

1. Why is the Chi square test useful in scientific research?

The Chi square test is a statistical method that allows us to determine the significance of the relationship between two categorical variables. It is useful in scientific research because it helps us determine if the observed differences between groups are due to chance or if they are statistically significant.

2. How does the Chi square test work?

The Chi square test works by comparing the observed frequencies of data with the expected frequencies. It calculates a Chi square statistic, which is then compared to a critical value in a Chi square table to determine the level of significance. If the calculated Chi square value is larger than the critical value, we can reject the null hypothesis and conclude that there is a significant relationship between the variables.

3. Why do we square the values in the Chi square test?

The Chi square test involves squaring the differences between the observed and expected frequencies. This is because squaring the values removes any negative signs and makes all the values positive. This is necessary for the Chi square calculation, which involves adding up all the squared values.

4. Is the Chi square test appropriate for all types of data?

No, the Chi square test is only appropriate for categorical data. It cannot be used for continuous data, such as height or weight, as these types of data require a different statistical test, such as a t-test or ANOVA.

5. Can the Chi square test be used for small sample sizes?

It is generally recommended to have a sample size of at least 20 for the Chi square test to be reliable. However, there are modified versions of the Chi square test that can be used for smaller sample sizes. It is important to consider the sample size when interpreting the results of the Chi square test.