Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Chess Discussion

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I thought it might be fun to have a chess thread.

I played a bit when I was a kid in my town's local chess club. It was great playing against and learning from adults, especially when I beat them. I used to watch Searching For Bobby Fischer all the time. However I wasn't anything amazing and never even got into the tournament circuit as serious players do. Recently I started picking the game back up on a more serious level and hope to continue to improve.

I was looking around on YouTube for a few weeks for chess help/commentary and pretty recently discovered The Chess Network. I think Jerry is by far the best commentator, and probably player as well, who regularly posts on YouTube. King's Crusher is also good but I get more from The Chess Network.

I'm hoping to hear from you guys anything about chess - resources, organizing games, cool stories, theory, etc... really whatever comes to mind. I know that chisigma, Alexmahone and SuperSonic4 have an interest in the game. Do you?

Jameson

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I played a bit when I was a kid in my town's local chess club. It was great playing against and learning from adults, especially when I beat them. I used to watch Searching For Bobby Fischer all the time. However I wasn't anything amazing and never even got into the tournament circuit as serious players do. Recently I started picking the game back up on a more serious level and hope to continue to improve.

I was looking around on YouTube for a few weeks for chess help/commentary and pretty recently discovered The Chess Network. I think Jerry is by far the best commentator, and probably player as well, who regularly posts on YouTube. King's Crusher is also good but I get more from The Chess Network.

I'm hoping to hear from you guys anything about chess - resources, organizing games, cool stories, theory, etc... really whatever comes to mind. I know that chisigma, Alexmahone and SuperSonic4 have an interest in the game. Do you?

Jameson
I don't think I've really mentioned it much, but I used to be pretty good at chess back in the day. Since I started college, though, I got distracted by other things and stopped playing. (Sadface)

I always opened with the move c4, and would make my opponents tilt their head in wonder (but then I would go on to slay them (Devil)). I do plan to start playing again on a regular basis (after this quarter is over...in June) and I hope to make a comeback with better tactics and strategy. (Bigsmile)

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
The only problem with ICC is that it is not free.

chess.com is free and any 2 people who have signed up can play against each other. I have an account (username: alexmahone). I suggest that anyone interested create an account and post here that they did, along with their username.

Last edited:
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I won't be able to play today most likely but I'll make an account there soon and post my username. I played on Chess Cube a little bit and I love the software but figured out after a handful of games the site becomes a paid service so I'll stick to free ones. Back in the day I played on Yahoo Games and it was fine. I'm not that picky about the software as long as all the standard features are there (edit board color/type, highlight last move, show all captured pieces, etc.)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012

Jameson
I used to play chess in my schooldays; even captained our school team. Now I have almost given it up. Still occasionally I play with Arena, though I have never beaten it. :( Thanks for mentioning about the chess network; haven't seen it before.

I don't think I've really mentioned it much, but I used to be pretty good at chess back in the day. Since I started college, though, I got distracted by other things and stopped playing.

I always opened with the move c4, and would make my opponents tilt their head in wonder (but then I would go on to slay them ). I do plan to start playing again on a regular basis (after this quarter is over...in June) and I hope to make a comeback with better tactics and strategy.
Ah... The English opening. I never liked these kind of closed openings. What I always fancied were openings like Kings Gambit, Giuoco Piano (specially the Moller attack). I really hated when somebody play Sicilian, :mad: and since the English opening starts like the Sicilian with the roles of white and black interchanged, I didn't like it either.

Last edited:

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
Ah... The English opening. I never liked these kind of closed openings. What I always fancied were openings like Kings Gambit, Guiaco Piano (specially the Moller attack). I really hated when somebody play Sicilian, :mad: and since the English opening starts like the Sicilian with the roles of white and black interchanged, I didn't like it either.
Same here -- I have always preferred open positions to closed. I also like the Ruy Lopez.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Same here -- I have always preferred open positions to closed. I also like the Ruy Lopez.
When I was younger I would always play a Ruy Lopez variation. In today's games it seems from what I've observed and read that the Sicilian Defense (1. e5 c5) does much better than the King's Pawn opening (1. e5 e4) for black. I really like playing the King's Gambit Accepted lines as white when I'm in a quick match because there is action from the start. I believe this gambit doesn't work well at all against higher rated players.

For me it's difficult but so beneficial to stop memorizing as many openings as I can and their names and focus on middle/end game theory. The middle game is still the toughest part for me because I feel like it takes the most awareness and control. Many end game situations come down to who understands technique better - watching The Chess Network on YouTube has really showed me how important it is to analyze common end game variations.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Just an example of how great the commentary is from The Chess Network. This is a 5 minute tournament which seems like forever compared to the 1 minute ones he plays very often. Hearing a player's thought process in real time makes me feel like I can play like that person - then I get a reality check in my next match :p

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
When I was younger I would always play a Ruy Lopez variation. In today's games it seems from what I've observed and read that the Sicilian Defense (1. e5 c5) does much better than the King's Pawn opening (1. e5 e4) for black. I really like playing the King's Gambit Accepted lines as white when I'm in a quick match because there is action from the start. I believe this gambit doesn't work well at all against higher rated players.

For me it's difficult but so beneficial to stop memorizing as many openings as I can and their names and focus on middle/end game theory. The middle game is still the toughest part for me because I feel like it takes the most awareness and control. Many end game situations come down to who understands technique better - watching The Chess Network on YouTube has really showed me how important it is to analyze common end game variations.
Just an example of how great the commentary is from The Chess Network. This is a 5 minute tournament which seems like forever compared to the 1 minute ones he plays very often. Hearing a player's thought process in real time makes me feel like I can play like that person - then I get a reality check in my next match :p

:) Wonderful video. Watched it completely. One of the most challenging part for me is the middle game. In some games I get to a situation where I run out of moves. What amazes me is how the commentator in this video is coordinating his pieces so well. Always he has some kind of a plan and he knows how to execute it.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm glad you liked it. I watched some other Youtube channels before finding this one. I instantly loved the way he could explain what he was doing which was really insightful for me and I started thinking about things I had never considered before. He does live streaming sessions every week where he plays for hours in tournaments and against his "fans". He is really aware of those that watch him play which is just something so hard to find for free at that level.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

pickslides

Feb 1, 2012
Loves it, since i've had a smart phone every spare second I get i'm playing.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
This game has been named "The Game of the Century" and was played between Bobby Fischer and Donald Byrne. At 13 years old, Fischer makes a queen sacrifice that results in him winning the game. Queen sacrifices are very rare and this one is amazing to watch. Here's an analysis from my favorite YouTube commentator, The Chess Network.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Has anyone tried to play Fischer Random chess? It's pretty interesting in the opening moves because you can't use memorized lines. Eventually these games morph into a standard game. I know I endorse this guy to death but this video is great. Check it out especially if you haven't heard of this variation.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
May be that some notes on the World Chess Championship Match between Viswanathan Anand [the actual world champion...] and Boris Gelfand [the challenger...] are of some interest for somebody. Now they are playing the game n. 5 [a sicilian opening...], after that the first four games were draw...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Here are some cool chess puzzles and one guy's thought process of walking through them.

[video=youtube;VpZECYB5Glo]Chess puzzles[/video]

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
This guy is a very good player. I am like Sudharaka, I can start OK, and then towards the middle... I peeter out, I just lose focus I think!