Chemistry vs ChemE: Graduate School Opportunities

• Thread starter djh101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, when comparing chemistry and chemical engineering, it seems that most discussions favor chemical engineering for its higher salary and job opportunities. However, this is assuming the individual only has a bachelor's degree and no intention of going to graduate school. If one does plan on pursuing a graduate degree, it is important to consider their career goals. For teaching and academia, either degree will work fine, but for engineering careers, chemical engineering is the better choice. Keep in mind, though, that the number of chemical engineers is declining. For a well-rounded education, some suggest pursuing a master's in a different engineering field, such as mechanical engineering. At the graduate level, specialization in chemistry may be more critical, but job opportunities may be more abundant in
djh101
I've read a lot of discussions about chemistry vs chemical engineering and everyone seems to favor chemical engineering, mainly for its higher salary and better job opportunities. Every discussion, though, seems to be referring to opportunities with a bachelor's and assume that the asker has no intention of going to graduate school. So can anyone give me a good comparison of chem vs chemE, assuming that I actually do intend to go to graduate school?

Physics news on Phys.org
djh101 said:
I've read a lot of discussions about chemistry vs chemical engineering and everyone seems to favor chemical engineering, mainly for its higher salary and better job opportunities. Every discussion, though, seems to be referring to opportunities with a bachelor's and assume that the asker has no intention of going to graduate school. So can anyone give me a good comparison of chem vs chemE, assuming that I actually do intend to go to graduate school?

Depends on what you want to do with that graduate degree. If your goal is to teach and stay in academia, either degree will work fine. If you want to work in research labs, either degree will work. However, keep in mind a chemistry major has no grounded engineering background.

Basically, if you are thinking about any engineering type of career, go ChemE. Although I would not recommend getting a masters in ChemE if you're getting your bachelor in ChemE as well (unless you want to pursue academia). I'm 3/4 of the way to an undergrad degree in ChemE, and plan on going to grad school for a MechE masters, just so I can get a well-rounded base for my career (planning to pursue alternative energy).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

chemistry at the bachelor's level is not that good. chemE is more employable and makes the most money. chemE is the only degree where you learn how to *industrially manufacture* chemicals like it happens in the real world. if you care about the *properties* of materials or how to *design new materials*, chemistry, physics and materials science are probably better choices. for those 3, chemistry is least employable.

keep in mind though that the numbers of chemical engineers is declining.

on the other hand if your math is very good go for EE. ChemE is a pain, not for the math, but for the "engineering mindset". You'll understand what I mean if you went through 3 years of ChemE curriculum and got to chemical kinetics and reactor design, after finishing thermo. its very different from a "science" mindset or even the mindset of EE. even how you design devices and processes is very different.

Chill, that's why I was asking for a GRADUATE level comparison. Every discussion I've read was a comparison at bachelor's level, so I was just hoping for a few opinions on the two past that.

Thanks for your input, Wellesley.

djh101 said:
Chill, that's why I was asking for a GRADUATE level comparison. Every discussion I've read was a comparison at bachelor's level, so I was just hoping for a few opinions on the two past that.

Thanks for your input, Wellesley.

I would imagine that graduate level specialization in chemistry is a lot more critical than graduate level specialization in chemical engineering. One is (probably a lot) less likely to get a job in total organic synthesis versus any job in any area of chemical engineering.

Related to Chemistry vs ChemE: Graduate School Opportunities

1. What is the main difference between chemistry and chemical engineering?

The main difference between chemistry and chemical engineering is their focus. Chemistry is primarily concerned with the properties, composition, and reactions of substances at the molecular level. Chemical engineering, on the other hand, applies the principles of chemistry to design and operate large-scale industrial processes for the production of chemicals, fuels, and materials.

2. Are there different graduate school opportunities for chemistry and chemical engineering?

Yes, there are different graduate school opportunities for chemistry and chemical engineering. While both fields offer graduate programs, the focus and coursework may differ. Chemistry graduate programs typically focus on research and academic training, while chemical engineering programs often have a more applied and industry-focused curriculum.

3. Can someone with a chemistry background pursue a graduate degree in chemical engineering?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a chemistry background to pursue a graduate degree in chemical engineering. However, they may need to take additional coursework to gain the necessary engineering knowledge and skills. Some schools also offer combined programs where students can earn a dual degree in both chemistry and chemical engineering.

4. Is there a high demand for graduate degree holders in chemistry and chemical engineering?

There is a high demand for graduate degree holders in both chemistry and chemical engineering. Graduates with advanced degrees are often sought after for research and development positions in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and energy. Additionally, there is a growing demand for chemical engineers in fields such as environmental protection and sustainable energy.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates with a chemistry or chemical engineering graduate degree?

The career prospects for graduates with a chemistry or chemical engineering graduate degree are promising. Many graduates go on to work in research and development, product development, and process design in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and energy. Graduates may also pursue careers in academia, government agencies, or consulting firms.