Chemistry question,constant of equilibrum?

• Thread starter Questions999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ideal gas law to find the total pressure in a reaction containing Cl2. The reaction is in equilibrium at 3000 K with a constant of disintegration of 0.570 atm. The reaction has a mass of 3 milligrams and is contained in a 60 mL dish. The ideal gas law is used with the molar mass of Cl2 (34) and the value of R (0.08) to find the pressure. It is suggested to not round down the numbers too heavily to ensure an accurate answer.
Questions999
In 3000 K the constant of disintegration in the equilibrum of the reaction Cl2-> ( <-) 2Cl is 0.570 atm.In the equilibrum the reaction weighs 3 miligrams and is contained in a dish with volume 60 mL and the temperature is 3000 K.Find the total pressure.

So I used p=n/V*R*T where n=m/M when M is the molar mass =34 ( since the molar mass of Cl is 17, 17*2=34). And R=0.08
Then I did Cl 2Cl
First (p1 I found) 0

Change -x 2x
Equilibrum p1-x 2x

Here by the constant of equilibrum I tried to find x ...am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not easy to follow what you wrote, but I don't see anything that would in an obvious way suggest you are wrong.

For sure you should not round down all these numbers so heavily, as the answer you will get will be off. Round down only the final answer.

1. What is the constant of equilibrium in chemistry?

The constant of equilibrium, also known as the equilibrium constant, is a numerical value that expresses the relationship between the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is denoted by the letter K.

2. How is the constant of equilibrium calculated?

The constant of equilibrium is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of products to reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. The values used for the concentrations must be at equilibrium.

3. What does the value of the equilibrium constant indicate?

The value of the equilibrium constant indicates the extent to which a reaction will proceed towards products at equilibrium. A larger K value indicates a greater concentration of products at equilibrium, while a smaller K value indicates a greater concentration of reactants at equilibrium.

4. Can the constant of equilibrium be altered?

The constant of equilibrium is a characteristic of a specific chemical reaction and is not affected by external conditions such as temperature, pressure, or catalysts. However, changing the concentrations of reactants and products can alter the value of the equilibrium constant.

5. How does the constant of equilibrium affect the direction of a reaction?

The constant of equilibrium, along with the concentrations of reactants and products, determines the direction of a reaction at equilibrium. If the equilibrium constant is larger than 1, the reaction will favor the formation of products. If the constant is smaller than 1, the reaction will favor the formation of reactants. If the constant is equal to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium with equal concentrations of reactants and products.