Chemistry Problem - Reaction Rates

In summary, the rate of a particular reaction doubles when the temperature is increased from 25 C to 35 C. Using the Arrhenius equation and given information, the rate will increase by a factor of 2 over the temperature interval of 118 C to 128 C. However, to solve for the activation energy, some assumptions would need to be made.
Kawrae
I know this isn't a physics problem, but it's driving me crazy because I can't figure it out.

>> The rate of a particular reaction doubles (2.0 X) when the temperature is increased from 25 C to 35 C. By what factor will the rate increase over the temperature interval of 118 C to 128 C? <<

I'm thinking I have to use the Arrhenius equation that says:
e^(k2/k1) = e^Ea/R(1/t1-1/t2)

But I'm not given all of the information I need to solve it, am I? I'm very confused... I read over the notes handed out in class and the section in the book that covers this topic and I still can't figure it out. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
this is not solvable unless you make some unrealistic assumtion..

Kawrae said:
I know this isn't a physics problem, but it's driving me crazy because I can't figure it out.

>> The rate of a particular reaction doubles (2.0 X) when the temperature is increased from 25 C to 35 C. By what factor will the rate increase over the temperature interval of 118 C to 128 C? <<

I'm thinking I have to use the Arrhenius equation that says:
e^(k2/k1) = e^Ea/R(1/t1-1/t2)

But I'm not given all of the information I need to solve it, am I? I'm very confused... I read over the notes handed out in class and the section in the book that covers this topic and I still can't figure it out. :confused:

Solve for Ea. You've got everything... k2/k1=2. you've got t1=25C and t2=35C (convert to K).

Then plug in Ea, t1=118C and t2=128C to solve for k2/k1 for the second situation.

Thanks I think I understand it now :smile: I was getting stuck with using k2/k1 being equal to 2... but since the rate is doubling, the k2 would have to be 2x larger. Thanks :D

Related to Chemistry Problem - Reaction Rates

1. What is meant by "reaction rate" in chemistry?

Reaction rate refers to the speed at which a chemical reaction takes place, specifically the rate at which reactants are consumed and products are formed.

2. How is reaction rate measured in a chemical reaction?

Reaction rate is typically measured by monitoring the change in concentration of either the reactants or products over time. This can be done using various techniques such as spectrophotometry, titration, or gas chromatography.

3. What factors can affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by several factors including temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and the nature of the reactants and products.

4. How does temperature affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

Increasing the temperature of a chemical reaction generally leads to an increase in reaction rate. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for reactant molecules to collide and overcome the activation energy barrier for the reaction to occur.

5. How does the presence of a catalyst affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

A catalyst is a substance that can speed up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. It does this by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, thus increasing the rate of the reaction.