Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies? Or something else?

In summary: Overall, your choice of major and degree level will depend on your career goals and interests.In summary, if you want to work with developing more efficient alternative energies and making them accessible to the general public, a Bachelor's degree in Physics with a minor in Chemistry or Electrical Engineering would be a good choice. You could also consider pursuing a higher degree, such as a Masters or PhD, depending on your specific career goals.
BCDLM
I'm thinking about what major study. I want to work with developing more efficient alternative energies like solar or some other new emerging energies. I would want to also make these energies available for regular people to actually have powering their cars, homes, businesses, and cities. What course of study do you think I should major into achieve this? I was thinking physics, or electrical engineering, or some other engineering, or chemistry.

Also, do you think I should go for just a master's degree or all the way to a PhD? I'm leaning towards physics with a chemistry or electrical engineering minor.

P.S. I will be attending Arizona State University this fall.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Based on your goals, it sounds like a Bachelor's degree in Physics with a minor in Chemistry or Electrical Engineering would be the best way to go. With a Physics major, you will get a comprehensive understanding of the science behind alternative energy sources, and the Chemistry or Electrical Engineering minor will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to apply those scientific principles to develop efficient alternative energies.If you want to pursue a higher degree, then you could consider a Masters degree in Sustainable Energy or a related field such as Mechanical Engineering, which would give you a more detailed understanding of specific technologies. A PhD is also an option if you want to pursue research or teaching at the university level.

Related to Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies? Or something else?

1. What is a Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies?

A Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies is a specialized program that focuses on the application of chemistry principles and techniques to the development of sustainable and renewable energy sources. It combines the study of traditional chemistry concepts with a focus on the production, storage, and use of alternative energy sources such as solar, wind, and biofuels.

2. What subjects are covered in a Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies?

Subjects covered in a Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies may include organic and inorganic chemistry, thermodynamics, electrochemistry, materials science, and environmental chemistry. Students may also take courses specifically related to alternative energy sources, such as photovoltaics, fuel cells, and bioenergy.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies?

Graduates with a Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies may pursue careers in industries related to renewable energy, such as solar and wind power companies, biofuel production companies, and energy consulting firms. They may also work in research and development positions in government agencies or academic institutions.

4. What skills are important for success in a Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies?

Important skills for success in a Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies include a strong background in chemistry principles and techniques, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and a passion for sustainability and renewable energy. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in interdisciplinary teams.

5. How does a Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies contribute to addressing global environmental issues?

A Chemistry Major for Alternative Energies contributes to addressing global environmental issues by equipping students with the knowledge and skills to develop and implement sustainable and renewable energy solutions. These solutions can reduce reliance on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions, which are major contributors to climate change. Additionally, the program may also include coursework on environmental chemistry, providing students with a deeper understanding of the impact of energy production on the environment.