Chemistry - Ideal gas equation question

In summary, when 700g of oxygen are released from a steel gas bottle containing 4500g of oxygen at a pressure of 6492Pa, the remaining gas will have a new pressure of 5482 Pa, assuming constant temperature. This can be calculated using the formula PV = nRT, where V and T are constant and n represents the number of moles of gas before and after the release.
david18
A steel gas bottle contains 4500g of oxygen. The pressure of the gas inside the bottle is 6492Pa. If 700g of gas are slowly released from the bottle, what will be the new pressure of the remaining gas? (Assume that the temperature stays constant when the oxygen is released)

I'm having trouble with this question as I can only find PV but not P on its own.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use PV = nRT before and after the release.
You know the change in 'n' the number of moles, and V stays the same, volume of bottle doesn't change.

Would you take the Pa/mol and multiply that by the final mol. I get 5429 Pa. I am learning this subject as well, so I am curious.

PV = nRT
V is constant, T is constant, R is constant (obviously!) so all you need is P/n before and after. YOu can work in totally arbitrary units for n since we are cancelling thme out

P1/n1 = P2/n2
P2 = P1 n2/n1 = 6492 * (4500-700)/4500 = 5482 Pa

Related to Chemistry - Ideal gas equation question

1. How do you use the ideal gas equation to solve for pressure, volume, or temperature?

The ideal gas equation, PV = nRT, can be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables. To solve for pressure, divide both sides by volume (P = nRT/V). To solve for volume, divide both sides by pressure (V = nRT/P). To solve for temperature, divide both sides by the product of moles and gas constant (T = PV/nR).

2. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in the ideal gas equation?

According to the ideal gas equation, pressure and volume are inversely proportional. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa, as long as all other variables (moles, temperature, and gas constant) remain constant. This relationship is known as Boyle's Law.

3. How does temperature affect the ideal gas equation?

Temperature has a direct relationship with the ideal gas equation. As temperature increases, so does the volume of the gas, assuming all other variables are constant. This relationship is known as Charles's Law.

4. What is the significance of the gas constant (R) in the ideal gas equation?

The gas constant (R) is a proportionality constant that relates the properties of an ideal gas to its temperature, pressure, and volume. Its value depends on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. The most commonly used value is 0.0821 L⋅atm/mol⋅K.

5. Can the ideal gas equation be used for all gases?

The ideal gas equation is an approximation that is most accurate for gases at low pressure and high temperature. This means that it can be used for most gases under normal conditions. However, at high pressures and low temperatures, the ideal gas law breaks down and more complex equations, such as the van der Waals equation, must be used.