CHEMISTRY: I filling out this flow chart for Group 1 Cations

In summary, the conversation is about a lab and a flow diagram for an experiment. The lab was run twice, once on a known substance and once on an unknown substance. The results showed that Pb, Hg, and Ag were present in the known substance, while only Ag was present in the unknown substance. The person needs help with filling out a flow diagram for the experiment, specifically how to know what the solution contains. The solution may contain different ions, and the person is unsure of how to fill out the blanks. They are asking for help with what to put in the blanks when the test is negative or when there is a precipitate. The expert advises to put 'nothing' for a negative test and the name of the metal
WahooMan

Homework Statement

Here is my lab:

http://comp.uark.edu/~rallan/Exp20.pdf

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I ran the experiment once on a known substance and once on an unknown substance. Here are my results:

In the known substance, Pb Hg and Ag were all present according to the tests.

In the unknown substance, only Ag was present according to the tests.

I really need some help with this flow diagram (the last page that says Experiment 36).

Pretty much all I really need to know is how do I know what the "solution contains"? For example, the first part that is filled out for me says "Solution contains ions in Groups II and III" but how do I know that? And how do I know what to put in the other "solution contains" blanks?

Thank you so much to anyone that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a little bit confusing. It is not that "Solution contains", it is "Solution may contain". What it really contains you will check later.

--
methods

So what should I put?

Thank you so much for your help I have class in 2 hours and I need to get this done.

If the test is negative (no ppt where one is expected) you put 'nothing'. If you have a ppt where one is expected (ie. when ammonia is added to the hot precipitate) you put 'name of the metal species'. For example, if you get a gray solid after treating the hot ppt of the HCl treatment, you would put 'Hg2+2' in that blank.

Related to CHEMISTRY: I filling out this flow chart for Group 1 Cations

1. What are Group 1 Cations in chemistry?

Group 1 cations are positively charged ions that belong to the first group of elements in the periodic table. These cations have a single positive charge and include elements such as lithium, sodium, and potassium.

2. Why is it important to fill out a flow chart for Group 1 Cations?

Filling out a flow chart for Group 1 cations is important because it helps to identify and separate these cations from other cations in a solution. This is crucial in qualitative analysis and can help determine the composition of a substance.

3. What information is typically included in a flow chart for Group 1 Cations?

A flow chart for Group 1 cations typically includes the steps for identifying and separating these cations, as well as any reagents or indicators that are used in the process. It may also include color changes or other visual cues to aid in the identification process.

4. How do you use a flow chart for Group 1 Cations?

To use a flow chart for Group 1 cations, you would first need to obtain a sample of the substance and perform any necessary dilutions or preparations. Then, you would follow the steps outlined in the flow chart, adding reagents and observing any color changes or other reactions. This process will help you identify and separate the Group 1 cations present in the sample.

5. Are there any potential errors or limitations when using a flow chart for Group 1 Cations?

Yes, there can be potential errors or limitations when using a flow chart for Group 1 cations. For example, the flow chart may not be able to identify all possible cations present in a sample, or there may be interference from other substances. It is important to follow the steps carefully and to confirm any results with additional tests or methods if necessary.