Chemistry Heat Reaction Question

In summary, the reaction between Al and Cl produces AlCl3. The amount of heat produced depends on the amount of Al and Cl present.
ShakeSpee
Hi, thanks for checking out this thread.

I'm really having a problem with the question because I don't have any foundation.

If you could, would you:
Explain what exactly is going on? Is this an endothermic or exothermic reaction?
What are colligative properties, and what do they have to do with this question?

Homework Statement

10.0 g Aluminium and 21.0 g Chlorine react in a solution of water. Ignoring colligative properties, what will the state of water be if 1000.0g starts at 10.0°C and a heat of formation of 92kJ/mol of product?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.
--ShakeSpee

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so far I think I balanced the equation (but I don't think I did it correctly.)
1 Al(s) + 3 Cl(l) -----> 1AlCl3 +H20 + energy

I also calculate the amount of moles. (.371 mol Al, 1.777 mol Cl)

Is this correct?

Now I'm stuck; do I have to find the change in temperature to find the state of water?

ShakeSpee said:
Okay, so far I think I balanced the equation (but I don't think I did it correctly.)
1 Al(s) + 3 Cl(l) -----> 1AlCl3 +H20 + energy

Chlorine is diatomic (not that it will change the result in this case).

I also calculate the amount of moles. (.371 mol Al, 1.777 mol Cl)

Al is OK, Cl is not (regardless of whether it is to be treated as atomic, or diatomic).

You need to find the limiting reagent and calculate number of moles of AlCl3 produced. Then you will be able to calculate amount of heat produced, and use it to calculate new water temperature.

Borek said:
Chlorine is diatomic (not that it will change the result in this case).
Al is OK, Cl is not (regardless of whether it is to be treated as atomic, or diatomic).

You need to find the limiting reagent and calculate number of moles of AlCl3 produced. Then you will be able to calculate amount of heat produced, and use it to calculate new water temperature.
I thought that was where my mistake was! I try it again, thanks!

Related to Chemistry Heat Reaction Question

What is a heat reaction in chemistry?

A heat reaction in chemistry is a process in which energy is either released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. This energy can be in the form of heat, light, or electricity. Heat reactions are important in understanding the thermodynamics of a reaction and can affect the rate and extent of the reaction.

What is the difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions?

An exothermic reaction releases heat to the surrounding environment, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat from the surrounding environment. In an exothermic reaction, the products have less energy than the reactants, and in an endothermic reaction, the products have more energy than the reactants.

How does temperature affect a heat reaction?

Temperature can affect a heat reaction in several ways. First, it can affect the rate of the reaction, with higher temperatures generally resulting in faster reactions. It can also affect the equilibrium of the reaction, as some reactions are favored at higher or lower temperatures. Additionally, temperature can affect the amount of energy released or absorbed during a reaction.

What is Hess's Law and how does it relate to heat reactions?

Hess's Law states that the total enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken to reach the final products. This means that the amount of heat released or absorbed during a reaction will be the same regardless of the intermediate steps taken to get there. This law is useful in predicting the heat of a reaction based on known values of other reactions.

How are heat reactions used in everyday life?

Heat reactions play a crucial role in many everyday processes, such as cooking, combustion, and digestion. They are also used in industries such as energy production and manufacturing. Additionally, understanding heat reactions is important in fields like medicine, where body temperature regulation is vital for proper functioning.