Chemistry - Equilibrium problem

In summary: You can solve it numerically, of course - or you can use an approximation, valid in a limit of very low x. In such limit, 1-2x ~ 1, so we can simplify the equation to:0.288 = (2x)^2 * x0.288 = 4x^3x = 0.288/4 = 0.072
Zipzap

Homework Statement

Cadmium metal is added to 0.350 L of an aqueous solution
in which [Cr3+] = 1.00M. What are the concentrations
of the different ionic species at equilibrium?
What is the minimum mass of cadmium metal required
to establish this equilibrium?

2Cr3+(aq) + Cd(s) <--> 2Cr2+(aq) + Cd2+(aq) where Kc = 0.288

Homework Equations

ICE box, and Kc = [Products] / [Reactants]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Cd(s) is not included in the equilibrium expression. I also know that the initial concentration of Cr3+ is 1.00 M. Setting up the ICE box, I get this:

2Cr3+(aq)
I = 1.00M
C = -2x
E = 1-2x

2Cr2+(aq)
I = 0
C = +2x
E = 2x

Cd2+(aq)
I = 0
C = +x
E = x

And setting up my equilibrium expression, I get the following:

Kc = ( [Cr2+]^2 * [Cd2+] ) / [Cr3+]^2

0.288 = ( (2x)^2 * x ) / (1-2x)^2

Unfortunately, going further gives me a cubic function, and my gut is telling me that I have screwed up somewhere or misinterpreted the question, for every other question I have seen in the textbook does not require solving a cubic function. Where did I screw up?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is badly worded. Doesn't matter how much metallic Cd you add, system will be at equilibrium. It may be not able to dissolve more Cd, but that's another thing. By "equilibrium" they probably mean there is an excess solid Cd present, but it suggests that when there is no solid, system is not at equilibrium, which is a nonsense.

But then - assuming you are looking for the solution with solid Cd present - all you did is correct, and yes, you get a cubic equation.

Related to Chemistry - Equilibrium problem

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium refers to a state in which the forward and reverse reactions of a chemical reaction occur at equal rates. This means that the concentration of reactants and products remain constant over time.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a chemical reaction?

Equilibrium is achieved when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This can be achieved by adjusting the temperature, pressure, or concentration of the reactants and products.

3. What factors affect the position of equilibrium?

The position of equilibrium is affected by temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. Changing these factors can shift the equilibrium in either the forward or reverse direction.

4. How do you calculate the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant (K) is calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. K = [products]/[reactants]

5. How can Le Chatelier's principle be applied to equilibrium problems?

Le Chatelier's principle states that if a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will adjust to minimize the effect of the stress. This can be applied to equilibrium problems by predicting how changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration will affect the position of equilibrium.