Chemistry: Demonstrate the definition with a chemical equation for HCl.

In summary, HCl(g) can be produced by mixing H2(g) and Cl2(g) and treating it with UV-light, which can be obtained through the electrolysis of salty water. When boiled, hydrochloric acid separates into water vapor and a combination of H2(g) and Cl2(g).
needOfHelpCMath
Demonstrate the definition with a chemical equation for HCl.
Express your answer as a chemical equation. Identify all of the phases in your answer.
My Answer:

HCl(g)+H2O(l)→H3O+(l)+Cl−(aq)What the answer said:

There is an error in your submission. Make sure you have formatted it properly.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
needOfHelpCMath said:
Demonstrate the definition with a chemical equation for HCl.
Express your answer as a chemical equation. Identify all of the phases in your answer.

My Answer:

HCl(g)+H2O(l)→H3O+(l)+Cl−(aq)

What the answer said:

There is an error in your submission. Make sure you have formatted it properly.

That's a rather generic error. I have no idea what it means.
Are there any more details about the error?
And since I'm not familiar with this particular submission system, can you perhaps provide an example of what a similar accepted submission looks like?

View attachment 6278Here is the image and how my answer look.

Attachments

• chem.png
    chem.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 62
needOfHelpCMath said:
Here is the image and how my answer look.

Shouldn't it be $H_3O^+$? (Wondering)

Possibly an ignorant question: How can you produce \(\displaystyle HCl(g)\)? I can't see how you can make HCl a vapor. When you boil it don't we just get water vapor coming off? I didn't think that the vapor would contain the HCl?

-Dan

topsquark said:
Possibly an ignorant question: How can you produce \(\displaystyle HCl(g)\)? I can't see how you can make HCl a vapor. When you boil it don't we just get water vapor coming off? I didn't think that the vapor would contain the HCl?

-Dan

Hey Dan,

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
According to wiki $HCl(g)$ can be produced by mixing $H_2(g)$ and $Cl_2(g)$ and treating it with UV-light.
And $H_2(g)$ and $Cl_2(g)$ can both be produced by electrolysis of salty water ($NaCl(aq) + H_2O(l)$).
If we boil hydrochloric acid, it'll presumably separate into water vapor and some combination of the gases just mentioned.

Related to Chemistry: Demonstrate the definition with a chemical equation for HCl.

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes.

2. What is HCl?

HCl, or hydrochloric acid, is a strong, highly corrosive acid that is commonly used in industrial processes and laboratory experiments.

3. What is the chemical equation for HCl?

The chemical equation for HCl is HCl(aq) = H+(aq) + Cl-(aq), which represents the dissociation of hydrogen chloride into hydrogen and chloride ions in aqueous solution.

4. How is HCl used in everyday life?

HCl is used in a variety of everyday products and processes, including cleaning products, food production, and water treatment. It is also present in gastric acid in the human stomach.

5. What are the dangers of working with HCl?

HCl is a highly corrosive and toxic substance, and can cause severe burns and respiratory irritation if not handled properly. It is important to use proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear, when working with HCl.