Chemistry - Concentration from known pH and Ka.

In summary, the problem involves calculating the concentration of acetic acid in a sample of vinegar with a pH of 2.90, using the Ka value of 1.8 x 10-5 for acetic acid. By rearranging the equations and substituting the given values, the concentration of the acid is calculated to be 8.8 x 10-12. However, this is not the final answer and further steps are needed to arrive at the correct answer of 0.089 M.
Mholnic-

Homework Statement

A particular sample of vinegar has a pH of 2.90. If acetic acid is the only acid that vinegar contains (Ka = 1.8 x 10-5), calculate the concentration of acetic acid in the vinegar.

Homework Equations

Ka = [Products]/[Reactants]
pH = -log[H+]

The Attempt at a Solution

I arranged the problem in my usual lazy way:
Acid + Water ---> Conjugate Base + Hydrogen Ions

Assuming that [H+] is equal to [Conjugate Base] I calculated the concentration of the conjugate base and hydrogen ions.

pH = -log[H+] = 2.90
[H+] = 10-2.90 = [Conjugate Base]

Then I plugged those numbers and the given Ka value into:

Ka = [products]/[reactants]

1.8 x 10-5 = [10-2.90]2/[Acid]

[10-2.90]2/1.8 x 10-5 = [Acid]

I get 8.8 x 10-12. The book says the answer is .089 M. Not quite sure where I'm going wrong.. maybe I am not using the correct equations or perhaps it's an overlooked error in algebra. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mholnic- said:
[10-2.90]2/1.8 x 10-5 = [Acid]

Equation is correct, but it doesn't yield 8.8x10-12.

Note that concentration of the acid that you can calculate in this step is not the final answer yet.

Related to Chemistry - Concentration from known pH and Ka.

What is concentration in chemistry?

Concentration in chemistry refers to the amount of a substance that is present in a given volume or mass of a solution. It can be measured in various units such as molarity, molality, or mass percent.

How is concentration calculated from known pH and Ka?

The concentration of an acid or base can be calculated from known pH and Ka values using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]), where [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base and [HA] is the concentration of the acid.

What is Ka in chemistry?

Ka, or the acid dissociation constant, is a measure of the strength of an acid in a solution. It is defined as the ratio of the concentration of the dissociated ions to the concentration of the undissociated acid.

What is the relationship between pH and concentration?

The concentration of an acid or base in a solution can affect the pH of the solution. A higher concentration of an acid will result in a lower pH, while a higher concentration of a base will result in a higher pH. This is due to the fact that more acidic or basic molecules are present to donate or accept protons, respectively.

Why is concentration important in chemistry?

Concentration is an important concept in chemistry because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of substances in a solution. It also allows us to accurately measure and control the amount of a substance present, which is crucial in many chemical reactions and processes.