Chemistry, Calorimetry finding delta H

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the reaction of sodium metal with water and the calculation of ?H for the reaction. The student has not attempted to solve the problem yet but is asking for clarification on the steps involved. The process involves finding the heat of the calorimeter, using that value to calculate ?H for one mole of Na, and then doubling that value since the reaction involves two moles of Na.
alexpratt

Homework Statement

Sodium metal reacts with water to produce hydrogen gas and sodium hydroxide
according to the equation:
2 Na(s) + 2 H2O(l) ? 2 NaOH(aq) + H2(g)
When 0.030 mol of Na is added to water, the temperature of the calorimeter rises
from 25.00C to 37.90C. If the heat capacity of the calorimeter is 400 J/C,
calculate ?H for the reaction as written

Homework Equations

q_system=-q_surroundings
q=CdeltaT
q=ndeltaH (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

i haven't actually tried to work out the numbers because I am not given the answer and i won't know if I am right or wrong. I have some ideas though which I would like someone to validate for me!

i know i can find q for the calorimeter because I am give C for the calorimeter and the temperature change. And that q of the calorimeter is -q for everything else.
So, once i have q, would i plug that into q=ndeltaH solve that for deltaH and use .03 moles for the n value?

this is the only kind of calorimetry problem i have trouble with constantly, on top of that my final exam is in two hours :( shouldn't leave things til the last minute i suppose.

anyways, any help at all is appreciated! like i said, i don't expect you to do the problem for me, i was just wondering if i could be pointed in the right direction!

Physics news on Phys.org
alexpratt said:
2 Na(s) + 2 H2O(l) ? 2 NaOH(aq) + H2(g)

So, once i have q, would i plug that into q=ndeltaH solve that for deltaH and use .03 moles for the n value?

That would give you delta H per one mole of Na, the way reaction is written heat that evolves would be twice that (two moles of Na reacting).

ok, that makes sense thank you!

i had some other examples that i had the answer to and i noticed some of my answers were half of the right answer but i never made that connection. Unfortunately that question was on the exam :(

regardless thank you for your help, it'll come in handy next semester I am sure!

Related to Chemistry, Calorimetry finding delta H

1. What is the definition of calorimetry in chemistry?

Calorimetry is a technique used to measure the heat energy exchanged between a chemical reaction and its surroundings. It involves using a calorimeter, a device that can accurately measure changes in temperature, to determine the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical process.

2. How is delta H calculated in calorimetry?

Delta H, also known as the change in enthalpy, is calculated by multiplying the mass of the substance by its specific heat capacity and the change in temperature. This formula can be written as delta H = m × c × delta T, where m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and delta T is the change in temperature.

3. What is the significance of delta H in chemistry?

Delta H is an important value in chemistry as it represents the amount of heat energy involved in a chemical reaction. It can be used to determine the energy released or absorbed during a reaction, as well as the direction and extent of the reaction.

4. How does calorimetry play a role in understanding chemical reactions?

Calorimetry allows scientists to measure the heat energy involved in a chemical reaction, providing valuable information about the reaction's thermodynamics. By understanding the amount of heat energy released or absorbed, scientists can predict the feasibility and direction of chemical reactions, as well as calculate important values like the enthalpy of formation.

5. What are some common applications of calorimetry in the field of chemistry?

Calorimetry is used in a variety of applications in chemistry, including determining the nutritional value of food, measuring the energy efficiency of fuels, and studying the thermodynamics of chemical reactions. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, where accurate control of heat energy is crucial in the production of drugs.