Why is the icon on the side an envelope with a black dot when I post something?

• Thread starter havechanged
  • Start date
In summary, the icon with a black dot in the middle next to your posts indicates that you are the author of the post. This is helpful for keeping track of your ongoing discussions. However, if you log in as a different user, the icon will disappear. It is important to be yourself and not use multiple accounts to participate in discussions.
havechanged
Why is it that, whenever I post something, the icon on the side is an envelope with a black dot in the middle?!? It looks like I don't want it to be answered!?? Does it have to do with that I am fairly new?

Thanks!
[?]

Physics news on Phys.org
It just indicates that the post is one in which you've posted. Log on as someone else, and it will go away.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Originally posted by Eh
It just indicates that the post is one in which you've posted.

Helpful for scanning through lists of topics to see where your ongoing discussions are.

Log on as someone else, and it will go away.

But don't do that. Be yourself, not a "sock puppet".

1. Why is it that, whenever I post something, the icon on the side is an envelope with a "?"

The envelope icon is used to indicate that a new message or post has been received. It is a common symbol used in many messaging and social media platforms.

2. Why is the envelope icon used specifically for posts?

The envelope icon is often used for posts because it is a recognizable symbol for communication and receiving messages. It helps users easily identify when there is new content to be viewed.

3. Can the envelope icon be changed to something else?

Yes, the envelope icon can be changed to a different symbol or image depending on the platform or website. However, it is important to choose a symbol that is easily recognizable and associated with new messages or posts.

4. Is there a specific reason why the envelope icon is used instead of other symbols?

The envelope icon has been used for many years to represent physical mail and has become a universal symbol for communication. It is also a simple and easily identifiable symbol, making it a popular choice for digital platforms.

5. Can the envelope icon be customized by the user?

In most cases, users do not have the ability to customize the envelope icon for posts. However, some platforms may offer the option to choose from a selection of different icons or images to represent new messages or posts.