Chemical to absorb oxygen and nitrogen

In summary: So the surrounding environment could still contain N2 even if the Mg is totally consumed.In summary, there are some chemicals that can absorb oxygen and nitrogen, but they would not work in a vacuum because the pressure would oppose the absorption. You could use a vacuum pump to depressurize the pipe, but it's also possible that some N2 would still be present even with the vacuum.
cragar
Is there a chemical that can absorb oxygen and nitrogen and in solid form.
I need to make a vacuum in a pvc pipe or close to a vacuum.
I was wondering if there were some chemicals that I could insert into the pipe and then close the end and tip it over and mix the chemicals together that would absorb the oxygen and nitrogen in the pipe and make it close to vacuum.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
One problem with that idea is that the reduction in pressure would oppose the absorption from taking place. Think about what happens to a human in a vacuum. All the gases in the lungs and blood stream get violently pulled out of the body, If you found a solid substance that absorbs these gases effectively, it wouldn't be able to retain the gases in low pressure environments. You could use a substance that reacts with the oxygen and form a highly stable solid complex with it but a similar problem exists, the lower the pressure, the lower the extent of reaction that can take place.

Why not just depressurise the pipe the conventional way, using a vacuum pump?

ok i see your point. Ill see if I can get a pump

With respect to the solid compound, a burning strip of Mg. Reaction with nitrogen, per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_nitride )

"Magnesium nitride can be produced by heating magnesium metal in a pure nitrogen atmosphere.

3 Mg + N2 → Mg3N2

In fact, when magnesium is burned in air, some magnesium nitride is formed in addition to the principal product, magnesium oxide."

Note, per Wikipedia, some CO2 and water vapor can also be removed as well:

2 Mg + CO2 --> 2 MgO + C

Mg + H2O --> MgO + H2

[EDIT] I would also add CaCl2 as any moisture could react with the Mg3N2 to form NH3. Reaction:

Mg3N2 + 3 H2O --> 3 Mg(OH)2 (s) + 2 NH3 (g)

Ammonia reacts with CaCl2 as follows forming adducts:

CaCl2 + 4 NH3 --> CaCl2.xNH3 (where x=1, 2, 4 or 8)

and the CaCl2 will also absorb any water vapor.

I still suspect, however, there will be some N2 remaining even with excess Mg. Note also, burning Mg is very hot (3,100 C) and gives off strong uv radiation.

Last edited:

Related to Chemical to absorb oxygen and nitrogen

1. What is the purpose of chemicals that absorb oxygen and nitrogen?

The purpose of these chemicals is to remove or reduce the levels of oxygen and nitrogen in a specific environment or substance. This can be done for various reasons, such as preserving food, creating a specific atmosphere for a chemical reaction, or preventing corrosion.

2. How do these chemicals absorb oxygen and nitrogen?

These chemicals typically have a high affinity for oxygen and nitrogen molecules, meaning they are attracted to and can easily bond with them. This results in the removal of these molecules from the surrounding environment.

3. What types of chemicals are commonly used to absorb oxygen and nitrogen?

There are several types of chemicals that can absorb these gases, including iron oxide, zeolites, and activated carbon. Each of these chemicals has different properties and is used for specific purposes.

4. Can these chemicals absorb all oxygen and nitrogen in a given space?

No, these chemicals can only absorb a certain amount of oxygen and nitrogen based on their properties and the amount of surface area available for bonding. This is why it is important to use the correct amount and type of chemical for the desired result.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using chemicals to absorb oxygen and nitrogen?

Yes, some of these chemicals can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use protective equipment when working with these chemicals. Additionally, the absorbed gases can also pose a risk if released in high concentrations, so proper disposal methods should be followed.