Chemical Thermodynamics Course Help/Advise?

In summary: Your name]In summary, the speaker is struggling with physics in their Chemical Thermodynamics course and is seeking advice on how to improve. They have already spent a lot of time studying and have scored well on homework assignments, but still struggle with exams. Possible reasons for this could be a lack of understanding of the basic equations and manipulations, as well as a lack of practice with exam-style problems. The speaker is looking for suggestions on alternative study methods and resources, and is willing to put in the effort to pass the course.
Darksaber 3
Hello all! I am new here, although I have been reading on here for a few years now. I'll get right to the point.

I don't have a specific homework question exactly, but rather I need help with a course. I am a senior biochemistry major, and I am taking Chemical Thermodynamics, my school's version of Physical Chemistry 2. For some reason, while I can do general chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, and biochemistry stuff without much trouble, I really, REALLY struggle with physics for some reason. This is becoming a big problem in my Chemical Thermodynamics course. I have scored over 80% on all of the homework assignments we are given, and I read out of our book for all of the stuff. I generally spend at least 15 hours a week studying Physical Chemistry stuff, plus an additional 20 before exams. My studying includes reading the text, working through the examples in the book, going over our homework, and the sample exam. However, while it all makes sense in the book and the homework, for some reason I cannot understand the things in the exams. I just have trouble making connections with the basic equations and getting them into the form I need to solve the problems, as most of our exam problems, we are given some basic partial derivatives and have to solve them for a certain value or other, using Maxwell Relations and multivariable calculus functions.

Now, some of the reasons I think this may be: I signed up for the course as it is a graduation requirement for me, so I can't afford to fail it. I already have spent a small fortune (to me) on my graduate school applications. I didn't think that this course would be all that difficult mathamatically, as the listed course requirements in my universities catalog is Calculus 2 and General Chemistry 2. However, I have come to find out that the professor is teaching as though we have had multivariable calculus. When I brought it up to the chair of the department and him that they shouldn't be teaching it at this level without teaching the math with it, since it isn't a requirement, their response was that it was too bad for me because they can't teach all the math with it.
That said, the math alone isn't all that horrible, and for the most part even the students who haven't had multivariable calculus have been able to work that part out. However, I am having trouble with the manipulations of these mathamatic functions.

My second issues is that I don't exactly feel like the problems in my texts and on the homework really give me good examples of the types of problems found on our exams.

So, my overall question for you guys:
Is there any other methods of studying, or texts, that you would recommend to me, for getting more practice with these types of problems, and being able to really figure out exactly what I have to do to solve these problems better. My current text is Molecular Thermodynamics by Donald A. McQuarrie. ( ISBN-10: 189138905X).

Anyways, any advice you can give me would be greatly helpful. I have had my first 2 exams, so there is one more and a final, and as it stands I am just positive that I am failing the course, even with the low averages (And I don't generally fail courses...). I am willing to put the time into pass the course, and I just cannot make sense of the topic in my head.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow forum member,

First of all, welcome to the forum! It's great to see new members who are passionate about science and seeking help in their studies.

I can understand your struggle with physics in your Chemical Thermodynamics course. Physics and math often go hand in hand and it can be challenging to make connections between the two. However, don't let this discourage you. With dedication and the right approach, I'm sure you can improve in this subject.

One suggestion I have is to seek help from your professor or teaching assistants. They are the best resources for understanding the material and can provide you with additional practice problems that are similar to those on your exams. Don't be afraid to ask questions and clarify any doubts you may have.

Additionally, try practicing with a study group or finding a tutor who can guide you through the material and help you with problem-solving techniques. Sometimes, having someone explain the concepts in a different way can make all the difference.

As for your textbook, Molecular Thermodynamics by Donald A. McQuarrie is a great resource. However, if you feel like it's not providing enough examples of the types of problems you see on your exams, I would recommend looking for supplementary resources. There are many online resources and practice problems available, and your professor may also have some recommended readings or practice materials.

Lastly, don't get discouraged if you don't do well on your first exams. It takes time and practice to master any subject, and it's important to stay motivated and keep working hard. Remember, your goal is to understand the material, not just pass the course.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and I'm sure you will do great in your remaining exams. Keep pushing through and don't hesitate to reach out for help when needed.

Related to Chemical Thermodynamics Course Help/Advise?

1. What is chemical thermodynamics?

Chemical thermodynamics is the study of the interplay between energy and chemical reactions. It involves understanding how energy is transferred and transformed during chemical reactions, and how this influences the stability and spontaneity of those reactions.

2. Why is chemical thermodynamics important?

Chemical thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of chemical reactions. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as drug development, materials science, and environmental studies, where the optimization of chemical reactions is essential.

3. What are some key concepts in chemical thermodynamics?

Some key concepts in chemical thermodynamics include enthalpy, entropy, and Gibbs free energy. Enthalpy is the measure of the total energy of a system, while entropy is the measure of the disorder in a system. Gibbs free energy combines these two concepts and determines whether a reaction is spontaneous or not.

4. How can I apply chemical thermodynamics in my research or work?

Chemical thermodynamics can be applied in various ways, such as in the design of chemical processes, the development of new materials, and the understanding of biochemical reactions. Depending on your field of research or work, you may need to use different thermodynamic principles and equations.

5. What are some resources for further learning about chemical thermodynamics?

There are many resources available for further learning about chemical thermodynamics, such as textbooks, online courses, and scientific articles. Some popular textbooks include "Chemical Thermodynamics: Principles and Applications" by J. Bevan Ott and "Introduction to Chemical Thermodynamics" by Joseph Mauk Smith. Online resources such as Khan Academy and Coursera also offer courses on chemical thermodynamics.