Chemical that reacts with glass and cools

In summary, the conversation involves a person who is not familiar with chemistry or engineering seeking suggestions on a substance that can react with glass and cool it to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. There is some confusion over the definition of "reacting with glass" and the desired outcome, but suggestions are made about using tin (II) chloride to make conductive glass. The conversation also touches on the various types of glass and their properties.
shotgung
Hi, I'm far from a chemist / engineer but am looking for something that will react with glass and cool to around 40 deg F. Any ideas?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean by react with glass? What are you trying to achieve? You can, for instance, make conductive glass by heating a piece with tin (II) chloride, among other things.

I think what he means is a substance that will react with the glass lattice and change it's composition , with a positive enthalpy, decreasing temp. If not idk what op is looking for.

Sounds about right Shinaolord

I'm a physics major, so I'm no expert and don't know of anything that would cause the desired effect.

What kind of glass? Any glass? Because glass is either a transparent thing you see in your window (in which case I doubt substance you are looking for exists), or any other amorphous solid that exhibits a glass transition - so there are plenty of other materials that are technically glasses, I am sure some of them will fit conditions you described above (whatever they really are).

I believe he means silicon based glass.
Good catch though.

Related to Chemical that reacts with glass and cools

1. What is the chemical that reacts with glass and cools?

The chemical that is commonly used to react with glass and create a cooling effect is liquid nitrogen. It has a boiling point of -320.4°F and when it comes in contact with glass, it rapidly cools the surface.

2. How does the chemical react with glass to create a cooling effect?

Liquid nitrogen has a very low boiling point, which means it can rapidly change from a liquid to a gas. When it is poured onto glass, it quickly evaporates and draws heat from the surface, causing the glass to cool down.

3. Is liquid nitrogen the only chemical that can react with glass and create a cooling effect?

No, there are other chemicals that can also react with glass and produce a cooling effect. These include dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) and ethyl chloride. However, liquid nitrogen is the most commonly used due to its low cost and effectiveness.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a chemical to cool glass?

Yes, it is important to handle liquid nitrogen and other chemicals carefully when using them to cool glass. They are extremely cold and can cause frostbite if they come in contact with skin. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling these chemicals.

5. What are some practical applications of using a chemical to cool glass?

The cooling effect of liquid nitrogen and other chemicals can be used in various industries, such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and electronics. It can also be used for scientific experiments and demonstrations, such as shattering a rose or creating instant ice cream.