Chemical reactions with ether?

In summary: And if so, what will be produced? In summary, p-toluidine hydrochloride dissolves in hydrochloric acid, producing p-toluidine and HCl.
jnimagine
chemical reactions with hydrochloric acid

does p-toluidine hydrochloride dissolve in HCl?? When it combines with HCl, what would it produce?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the work?

Are you sure that p-toluidine is an ether?

chemisttree said:
Are you sure that p-toluidine is an ether?

I changed the question... so it's supposed to be "chemical reaction with hydrchloric acid" i don't know why it only got changed in my post and not on the others...
anyways...

my idea is that p-toluidinehydrochloride will dissolve in hydrochloric acid, producing p-toluidine and HCl?
I'm very confused about this question...:(

Do you know how ammonia reacts with hydrochloric acid? Toluidine (as all amines) is not that different.

Borek said:
Do you know how ammonia reacts with hydrochloric acid? Toluidine (as all amines) is not that different.

but this one's p-toluidine hydrochloride... so it has another Cl attached to it... how would this react with hydrochloric acid?

jnimagine said:
but this one's p-toluidine hydrochloride... so it has another Cl attached to it... how would this react with hydrochloric acid?

One vs two.

Borek said:
One vs two.

huh?

Take a look at the molecule - and think.

Borek said:
Take a look at the molecule - and think.

Well...
the hydrogen from the HCl would be donated to the p-touidinehydrochloride... and then the chlorine molecule... joins up with the Cl from HCl??
and since there is a reaction p-toluidinehydrochloride dissolves in HCl??

Not bad, although not perfect either. Hydrochlroides are usually 100% dissociated - these are salts. So while you are right that one may expect H+ to protonate free -NH2 group, Cl- will be just left in the solution.

And I suppose hydrochloride to be already soluble, after all it is an ionic substance. But further protonation should increase solubility.

Borek said:
Not bad, although not perfect either. Hydrochlroides are usually 100% dissociated - these are salts. So while you are right that one may expect H+ to protonate free -NH2 group, Cl- will be just left in the solution.

And I suppose hydrochloride to be already soluble, after all it is an ionic substance. But further protonation should increase solubility.

so, the products will just be p-toluidine and Cl-?

Not p-toluidine, but protonated (twice) p-toluidine.

Borek said:
Not p-toluidine, but protonated (twice) p-toluidine.

so would it be p-toluidine with NH3+?

Toluidine has two groups that can be protonated. One was protonated from the very beginning, that's why the substance was called toluidine hydrochloride. You put it into acidic solution, it can get protonated for the second time.

Enough spoonfeeding, you are on your own now.

jnimagine said:
does p-toluidine hydrochloride dissolve in HCl?? When it combines with HCl, what would it produce?

These are two questions. The first asks about solubility. As you now know, p-toluidine is a hydrochloride salt of an amine. Will that dissolve in acid? (think "like dissolves like")

The second sentence assumes it may need to combine with HCl before it dissolves. Is that true?

Related to Chemical reactions with ether?

1. What is the chemical structure of ether?

Ether is an organic compound with the chemical formula C2H5OC2H5. It consists of two alkyl groups attached to an oxygen atom.

2. How do chemical reactions with ether occur?

Chemical reactions with ether typically occur through substitution or elimination reactions, where the oxygen atom is replaced by another group or eliminated along with an attached group.

3. Can ether undergo oxidation reactions?

Yes, ether can undergo oxidation reactions, where the oxygen atom is converted into a more electronegative group such as a carboxylic acid or an alcohol.

4. What are some common uses of ether in chemical reactions?

Ether is commonly used as a solvent in organic reactions, as it is non-polar and can dissolve a wide range of organic compounds. It is also used as a reagent in many organic synthesis reactions.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when handling ether in chemical reactions?

Yes, ether is highly flammable and can form explosive peroxides when exposed to air. It is important to handle it in a well-ventilated area and to use proper protective equipment, such as gloves and safety goggles.