Chemical potential in ideal gas (does it have meaning ?)

In summary, Chemical potential is not necessary for describing ideal gas systems as it can be replaced with other quantities such as pressure or energy per particle. While it may be useful for reactions and phase transforms, for ideal gas systems it does not bring any new information.
Curl
While useful and unique for reactions or phase transforms, I fail to see how chemical potential brings anything new to ideal gas systems.

For example, if chemical potential is described as the quantity the same for 2 systems in diffusive equilibrium, then for ideal gas systems (think 2 boxes with ideal gas species inside each) I can describe the same thing using pressure. I.e. the partial pressure of each species is the same when two systems are in equilibrium.

Or if you say that chemical potential is the energy per particle, then for ideal gas you can relate the energy directly with temperature using the equipartition theorem. So what does the chemical potential tell us?

I'm asking this because I have another question I'll ask as soon as I get this cleared up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for ideal gasses, you might use the partial pressure instead of the chemical potential. However, if there a more than one component, the total pressure may be the same for two systems whose components have different partial pressures or chemical potentials.

Related to Chemical potential in ideal gas (does it have meaning ?)

1. What is chemical potential in ideal gas?

Chemical potential in ideal gas is a measure of the amount of energy required to add one additional particle to the system, while keeping the temperature and volume constant.

2. Does chemical potential have any physical significance in ideal gas?

Yes, chemical potential in ideal gas is a useful concept in understanding the behavior of gases in different conditions, such as at different temperatures and pressures.

3. How is chemical potential related to energy in ideal gas?

Chemical potential is related to the energy of a gas by the equation μ = RTln(P/P°), where μ is the chemical potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, P is the pressure, and P° is the standard pressure.

4. Can chemical potential in ideal gas be negative?

Yes, chemical potential in ideal gas can be negative, especially at low temperatures. This indicates that the gas is more stable at a lower energy state, and the addition of another particle would require energy to be added to the system.

5. How is chemical potential affected by changes in temperature and pressure in ideal gas?

In ideal gas, chemical potential is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to pressure. As temperature increases, chemical potential increases, while as pressure increases, chemical potential decreases.