Chemical Kintetics - Sequential reactions

In summary, the discussion is about finding the time required for B to reach maximum concentration in a sequential reaction with half-lives of 4 and 2 minutes for A and B, respectively. It is implied that the half-lives are constant, making the reaction first-order and allowing for the setup of differential rate equations. The approach of finding the concentration of A as a function of time and then forming a linear differential equation to find the concentration of B is discussed. The final solution is obtained by finding the time at which B reaches maximum concentration using the equation t=(ln(k2)-ln(k1))/(k2-k1).
Saitama
Chemical Kinetics - Sequential reactions

Homework Statement

For a reaction ##A \rightarrow B \rightarrow C##, ##t_{1/2}## for A and B are 4 and 2 minutes respectively. How much time would be required for the B to reach maximum concentration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't form the differential rate equations until I know the order of the reaction or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's implied that the half-lives are constant. First-order reactions are the only ones with half-lives that remain constant as the reaction progresses (or, equivalently, have half-lives that are independent of the reactant concentration).

Once you know it's first order, it should be easy to set up the d.e.s. If you need more help you can search under my username for "sequential decay", where I helped someone else solve a sequential radioactive decay problem years ago. Same principle.

Curious3141 said:
It's implied that the half-lives are constant. First-order reactions are the only ones with half-lives that remain constant as the reaction progresses (or, equivalently, have half-lives that are independent of the reactant concentration).

Thanks, missed it. :)

Setting up the D.Es
[tex]-\frac{dA}{dt}=k_1A[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dB}{dt}=k_1A-k_2B[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dC}{dt}=k_2B[/tex]

At maximum concentration of B, ##dB/dt=0##, that gives ##k_1/k_2=B/A##. I don't see how to proceed from here.

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks, missed it. :)

Setting up the D.Es
[tex]-\frac{dA}{dt}=k_1A[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dB}{dt}=k_1A-k_2B[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dC}{dt}=k_2B[/tex]

At maximum concentration of B, ##dB/dt=0##, that gives ##k_1/k_2=B/A##. I don't see how to proceed from here.

That's why this simple approach is a nonstarter. Did you take my suggestion and look up my earlier post? Search for "sequential decay" under my username.

[tex]A=A_0e^{-k_1t}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dB}{dt}+k_2B=k_1A_0e^{-k_1t}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d(e^{k_2t}B)}{dt}=k_1A_0e^{(k_2-k_1)t}[/tex]
[tex]e^{k_2t}B=\frac{k_1A_0}{(k_2-k_1)}(e^{(k_2-k_1)t}-1)[/tex]
[tex]B=\frac{k_1A_0}{(k_2-k_1)}(e^{-k_1t}-e^{-k_2t})[/tex]
B is maximum when [tex]e^{(k_2-k_1)t}=\frac{k_2}{k_1}[/tex]
or when
[tex]t=\frac{\ln{k_2}-\ln{k_1}}{k_2-k_1}[/tex]

Curious3141 said:
That's why this simple approach is a nonstarter. Did you take my suggestion and look up my earlier post? Search for "sequential decay" under my username.

Thanks Curious. I found out the concentration of A as a function of time and then formed a linear differential equation to find the concentration of B. :smile:

Chestermiller said:
[tex]A=A_0e^{-k_1t}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dB}{dt}+k_2B=k_1A_0e^{-k_1t}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d(e^{k_2t}B)}{dt}=k_1A_0e^{(k_2-k_1)t}[/tex]
[tex]e^{k_2t}B=\frac{k_1A_0}{(k_2-k_1)}(e^{(k_2-k_1)t}-1)[/tex]
[tex]B=\frac{k_1A_0}{(k_2-k_1)}(e^{-k_1t}-e^{-k_2t})[/tex]
B is maximum when [tex]e^{(k_2-k_1)t}=\frac{k_2}{k_1}[/tex]
or when
[tex]t=\frac{\ln{k_2}-\ln{k_1}}{k_2-k_1}[/tex]

Thank you Chet! That helped me to check my working. :)

Related to Chemical Kintetics - Sequential reactions

1. What is a sequential reaction in chemical kinetics?

A sequential reaction in chemical kinetics is a type of reaction where multiple steps occur in a specific sequence. This means that the reactants undergo a series of intermediate reactions before reaching the final products.

2. How does the rate of a sequential reaction differ from a single step reaction?

The rate of a sequential reaction is determined by the slowest step, also known as the rate-determining step. This is because the overall reaction cannot proceed faster than the slowest step. In a single step reaction, the rate is solely determined by the reactant concentrations.

3. What factors can affect the rate of a sequential reaction?

Several factors can affect the rate of a sequential reaction, including temperature, concentration of reactants and catalysts, surface area, and presence of inhibitors. These factors can alter the rate-determining step and therefore impact the overall reaction rate.

4. Can sequential reactions have a reverse reaction?

Yes, sequential reactions can have a reverse reaction. This means that the products can react with each other to form the original reactants. The overall reaction will reach equilibrium when the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates.

5. How are sequential reactions represented in a chemical equation?

Sequential reactions are represented in a chemical equation by using multiple arrows and intermediate species. For example, A → B → C would represent a sequential reaction with A as the reactant, B as an intermediate, and C as the final product.