Chemical equilibrium system and where my ions went

In summary: NO3)2 and crO4(s), it precipitates barium chromate (possibly ba(OH)2) which then dissolves back into the aqueous solution. the equilibrium constant for the reaction is Ksp of barium chromate is 2.2 x 10-10.
allywallyrus
sorry if this has been asked before, i did a search and couldn't find any results.
Explain fully what happens when [tex]H^+[/tex] is added to a mixture containing [tex]BaCrO_4(s)[/tex] and [tex]CrO_4^2^-[/tex].

The overall equation of ions in this experiment is [tex]H^+(aq)~+~2CrO_4^2^-\rightleftharpoons~Cr_2O_7^2^-(aq)~+~OH^-(aq)[/tex]

when HCl is added to a solution of K2CrO4 and NaOH and Ba(NO3)2, the precipitate dissolves and the solution becomes orange. I am pretty stumped, but I am assuming K2CrO7 is present because it is orange in colour and that the precipitate from before becomes aqueous again but I am not sure what the percipitate is (possibly Ba(OH)2??) or what is involved in the reaction. any push in the right direction is very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ksp of barium hydroxide is 5 X 10-3 and the Ksp of barium chromate is 2.2 X 10-10.

Hope it helps.

chemisttree said:
Ksp of barium hydroxide is 5 X 10-3 and the Ksp of barium chromate is 2.2 X 10-10.

Hope it helps.

i just realized i even identified barium chromate as a solid in my first post, hahaha :P
thank you anyway

so now my equation is looking more like HCl(aq) + BaCrO4 -> Cr2O7 + BaCl(aq) + H+

allywallyrus said:
[tex]H^+(aq)~+~2CrO_4^2^-\rightleftharpoons~Cr_2O_7^2^-(aq)~+~OH^-(aq)[/tex]

It won't work this way. Think what will happen to produced OH- in the presence of H+.

Borek said:
It won't work this way. Think what will happen to produced OH- in the presence of H+.

so we'd have H2O in the products instead, which makes more sense because this also balances nicely as well
i think this clears up where H+ ions were going, thanks :)

i don't suppose it would be a problem if i recycled this thread for questions on the same subject? i will probably have some more

No, you better start a new thread. Give it more informative subject.

alright, thanks again

Related to Chemical equilibrium system and where my ions went

1. What is a chemical equilibrium system?

A chemical equilibrium system is a state in which the forward and reverse reactions of a chemical reaction occur at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the concentration of reactants and products over time.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a chemical system?

Equilibrium is achieved when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This can be achieved through factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products.

3. What is the significance of equilibrium in chemical systems?

Chemical equilibrium is important because it allows for a stable state of a chemical reaction to be reached, preventing the system from continuing to react until all reactants are consumed. This allows for a balance to be maintained between reactants and products.

4. Where do my ions go in a chemical equilibrium system?

In a chemical equilibrium system, ions do not disappear or go anywhere. They are constantly in motion and are present in both the reactant and product side of the reaction. However, their concentrations may change depending on the equilibrium constant of the reaction.

5. How is equilibrium affected by changes in temperature and pressure?

Changes in temperature and pressure can shift the equilibrium of a chemical system. An increase in temperature typically favors the endothermic reaction, while an increase in pressure tends to favor the reaction with fewer moles of gas. However, these effects can vary depending on the specific reaction and its equilibrium constant.