Chemical Equilibrium, solubility

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the solubility of PbI2 in a solution containing .300m AlI3. The student is unsure how to incorporate the symbols and equations, and asks for help. They suggest a dissociation equation and an equilibrium expression, but are unsure if it is correct. They then explain their attempt at a solution and ask for confirmation. However, the expert points out that their answer of 6.67M PbI2 is incorrect and asks for them to show their work.
AKilren

Homework Statement

Hey all, I'm new here, so hello to all of you.
Question: "Calculate the solubility of PbI2 in .300m AlI3
(PbI2 - Ksp = 2.0x10-30)"
So I'm not really sure how to do the symbols and such, but that's a try.
Now I'm seeing it two ways. One: Right a disassociation equation as PbI2 + AlI3 <---> Al + I + Pb
I'm too lazy to do the little numbers next to it right now, but you get the idea. Then I would write a Equilibrium expression as 2.0X10-30 = [Pb][Al]...
In all honesty I'm really lost. I missed a couple days of this unit and I'm quite behind. Any help would be highly, highly appreciated.
Thank you
AK

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You are dissolving PbI2 in th excess amount of I-.

OK. So by doing that the molarity of I in the equation would be .300 because there is already so much of it, or its saturated with I already. So it seems to me that what I need to do is complete the Equilibrium Expression, but my other question is was my Dissassociation equation right?
Thank you for the prompt response,
AK

AKilren said:
molarity of I in the equation would be .300

No. How many moles of I- per mole of AlI3?

my other question is was my Dissassociation equation right?

No. You can't combine two separate reactions in one equation.

OK so I think I understand this and have worked through it. My final answer was 6.67M PbI2
Is that remotely correct?
Thanks
AK

I am afraid it is incorrect at first sight, 6.67M is a highly concentrated solution, while PbI2 is very weakly soluble.

Show your work.

Related to Chemical Equilibrium, solubility

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in which the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. How is chemical equilibrium achieved?

Chemical equilibrium is achieved when a reversible reaction occurs in a closed system, meaning that no reactants or products can enter or leave the system.

3. What is the role of temperature in chemical equilibrium?

Temperature affects the equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction, which is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium. An increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction, while a decrease in temperature will favor the exothermic reaction.

4. How does solubility affect the equilibrium of a solution?

Solubility is a measure of the maximum amount of a substance that can be dissolved in a solvent at a given temperature. In a saturated solution, the rate of dissolution is equal to the rate of precipitation, resulting in a dynamic equilibrium between dissolved and undissolved particles.

5. How can the solubility of a substance be increased?

The solubility of a substance can be increased by increasing the temperature, increasing the surface area of the substance, or by adding a solvent that has a higher dielectric constant than the solvent currently being used.