Chemical Equilibrium of Reaction's constant?

In summary: The equilibrium constant is the ratio of the kinetic rate constant for the forward reaction to the kinetic rate constant for the reverse reaction.The equilibrium constant is the ratio of the kinetic rate constant for the forward reaction to the kinetic rate constant for the reverse reaction.In summary, the equilibrium constant is the ratio of the kinetic rate constant for the forward reaction to the kinetic rate constant for the reverse reaction.
Matriculator
I'm currently studying for a test and I'm having problem with this concept:

If I have 3 different Equilibrium constants for different reactions like Kc=103, Kc=1 and KC=10-4, which one's forward reaction is most favorable, and which one's reverse reaction is most favorable?

Maybe it's the way the question is stated but I have a good understanding of most of the things in this chapter, this one doesn't make sense at all. Can anyone please help? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matriculator said:
I'm currently studying for a test and I'm having problem with this concept:

If I have 3 different Equilibrium constants for different reactions like Kc=103, Kc=1 and KC=10-4, which one's forward reaction is most favorable, and which one's reverse reaction is most favorable?

Maybe it's the way the question is stated but I have a good understanding of most of the things in this chapter, this one doesn't make sense at all. Can anyone please help? Thank you very much.

The equilibrium constant is the ratio of the kinetic rate constant for the forward reaction to the kinetic rate constant for the reverse reaction.

Chestermiller said:
The equilibrium constant is the ratio of the kinetic rate constant for the forward reaction to the kinetic rate constant for the reverse reaction.

Thank you for replying. I understand that part, but what I'm having a hard time with is how to determine from different constants which movement(forward or backward) will be favorable(or not so).

Matriculator said:
Thank you for replying. I understand that part, but what I'm having a hard time with is how to determine from different constants which movement(forward or backward) will be favorable(or not so).
If K is high, then the forward reaction is favored over the reverse reaction. If K is low, then the reverse reaction is favored over the forward reaction.

Chestermiller said:
If K is high, then the forward reaction is favored over the reverse reaction. If K is low, then the reverse reaction is favored over the forward reaction.

But why is this so- perhaps algebraically? My teacher told me something like this but I couldn't make out the reasoning behind it. Thank you.

Write the equilibrium constant for the reaction

A -> B

If it is higher than 1 - which substance is in the excess? Where does the equilibrium lie, on the left, or on the right?

And if it is lower than 1?

For the reaction that Borek wrote, the kinetic expression at equilibrium is:

kf[A]-kr=0

Now solve algebraically for the equilibrium constant /[A]. This should be in your textbook.

Chet

Related to Chemical Equilibrium of Reaction's constant?

1. What is the definition of chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is the state of a chemical reaction where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. How is the equilibrium constant of a reaction determined?

The equilibrium constant, K, is determined by taking the concentration of the products, raised to their respective coefficients, and dividing it by the concentration of the reactants, also raised to their respective coefficients.

3. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

According to Le Chatelier's principle, an increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction and decrease the equilibrium constant, while a decrease in temperature will favor the exothermic reaction and increase the equilibrium constant.

4. Can the equilibrium constant be changed?

The equilibrium constant is a characteristic property of a specific reaction at a given temperature, and it cannot be changed. However, the equilibrium position can be shifted by changing the concentrations of reactants and products or by changing the temperature.

5. How is the equilibrium constant used in predicting the direction of a reaction?

If the reaction quotient, Q, calculated using initial concentrations of reactants and products, is less than the equilibrium constant, K, the reaction will proceed in the forward direction. If Q is greater than K, the reaction will proceed in the reverse direction. If Q is equal to K, the reaction is at equilibrium.