- Chemical Equilibrium [Help] -

In summary: Therefore, based on this information, I would say that the equilibrium constant for this reaction is most likely (a).
minus
Can anyone please help me on these chem equilibrium questions. I just want to make sure if they are correct or not.

1. A chemical system in equilibrium will
a. form more products if the the temperature is increased
b. have a specific ratio of product to reactant concentrations
c. not have any precipitates
d. represent a spontaneous chemical process

is the answer b? i think it makes the most since. i know it is definitely not C or D. and i think A. depends on whether it is an exothermic or endothermic reaction.

2. A reaction has a very large equilibrium constant of 3.3x10^13. Which statement is NOT true about this reaction?

a. the reaction is very fast
b. the reaction is essentially complete
c. the equilibrium constant will change if the temperature changes.
d. the products will react to yield very little reactants.

ok for this one i think the answer is a.
b and c is definitely true. and for d since k > 1 then it'll shift right because the products are favored so i think that is also true. so that leaves A as being false

and my last question w/ my attempt at solving it:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2777/chemicalequilibriummf4.png

Thanks for anyone that can help :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
#1 - Both (b) and (d) seem good. (b) is more assured.

#2 - Stability and rate are two different concepts. Something may occur because of stability of the result, but this does not mean that it must occur fast. I choose (a).

#3 - Your work here makes the best sense.

alright thanks. i was correct on all of them then. someone delete/close this thread or whatever.

symbolipoint said:
#1 - Both (b) and (d) seem good. (b) is more assured.

#2 - Stability and rate are two different concepts. Something may occur because of stability of the result, but this does not mean that it must occur fast. I choose (a).

#3 - Your work here makes the best sense.

? Consider an acid-base neutralization reaction. This type of reaction generally occurs fast and yields a very large equilibrium constant.

Related to - Chemical Equilibrium [Help] -

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This means that the forward and backward reactions are occurring at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the amount of products or reactants.

2. How do you know when a reaction has reached equilibrium?

A reaction has reached equilibrium when the concentrations of reactants and products no longer change over time, and the reaction quotient (Q) is equal to the equilibrium constant (K). Additionally, physical properties such as color, temperature, and pressure may also remain constant at equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect chemical equilibrium?

The factors that can affect chemical equilibrium include changes in temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products. Adding or removing reactants or products, as well as changing the volume of the reaction container, can also shift the equilibrium in one direction or another.

4. How can you manipulate a reaction to favor the formation of products?

To favor the formation of products, you can either increase the concentration of reactants or decrease the concentration of products, or increase the temperature or pressure of the reaction. Additionally, you can also remove products as they are formed to shift the equilibrium in the forward direction.

5. Can chemical equilibrium be disrupted?

Yes, chemical equilibrium can be disrupted by changing any of the factors that affect it, such as temperature, pressure, or concentrations of reactants and products. This will result in a shift in the equilibrium towards the direction that relieves the disruption.