Chemical Equilibrium and Concentration

In summary, the equilibrium constant for the reaction between hydrogen and fluorine is 1.15x102 at a certain temperature. Using the given reaction equation and the initial concentrations, the equilibrium concentration of HF can be calculated using an ICE table or the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. However, using an ICE table may not be necessary for buffer questions.
Procrastinate
The reaction between hydrogen and fluorine has an equilibrium constant of 1.15x102 at a certain temperature. Given the reaction equation H2(g) + F2(g) -> 2HF(g), calculate the equilibrium concentration of HF after 3.00 mol of each component is added to a 1.500 L flask.

I attempted solving it by calculating the concentration of H2 and F2 which were each 2 (3/1.5). Afterwards, I formed the equilibrium expression and multiplied 2 squared (for H2 and F2) with 1.15x102. Then I found the square root of the answer since HF would be raised to the power of 2 which was about 21. However, the answer is 1.5M and I don't know how they got that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hydrogen and fluorine react, so their equilibrium concentrations are different from the initial ones. ICE table?

Borek said:
Hydrogen and fluorine react, so their equilibrium concentrations are different from the initial ones. ICE table?

Thanks. How do you know when to use an ICE table in a question?

Whenever it is obvious that I, C and E are nicely defined.

Just don't use ICE table for buffer questions.

Borek said:
Whenever it is obvious that I, C and E are nicely defined.

Just don't use ICE table for buffer questions.

I tried an ICE table for a buffer solution once but it gives me the same answer as the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation anyways (which is quicker to plug in all the numbers.)

I never stated it is impossible to do buffer questions with ICE table, it just IMHO doesn't make sense.

Related to Chemical Equilibrium and Concentration

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is the state in which the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no overall change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. How is chemical equilibrium affected by changes in concentration?

If there is a change in concentration of one of the reactants or products, the equilibrium will shift to counteract the change and maintain the equilibrium ratio between the reactants and products.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium constant?

Temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst can all affect the equilibrium constant. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium in one direction or the other.

4. How do you calculate the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant (K) is calculated by taking the ratio of the products to the reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation.

5. What is the relationship between concentration and equilibrium?

The concentration of reactants and products at equilibrium can be used to calculate the equilibrium constant, and changes in concentration can shift the equilibrium in one direction or the other. Maintaining a certain concentration ratio is necessary for a reaction to reach and maintain equilibrium.