Chemical energy into mechanical.

In summary, the efficiency of the human body is 18-26% and 74-82% of what we consume is not burned. For the question of how many meals 2000KJ each will be needed in order to complete a task without gaining weight, the answer is 1180-1260KJ.
peripatein
Hello,

Given that our body is 18-26% efficient in converting chemical energy into mechanical, does that mean that 74-82% of what I consume is not burned? Furthermore, assuming a certain task requires 1000 KJ, how many meals 2000 KJ each will I need to consume for completing it without gaining fat?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The efficiency is measured in terms of desired output. The Mechanical output is 18-26%, the rest is used in other bodily activities like maintaining our body temperature.

For the second question, just find out the energy whose 18%/26% is 1000 KJ.

peripatein said:
Given that our body is 18-26% efficient in converting chemical energy into mechanical, does that mean that 74-82% of what I consume is not burned?

It is burnt either to serve another needs, or burnt - and lost. Think why you are sweating when running - to get rid of excess heat. Where do the excess heat comes from?

So let me get this straight. Let's say I am to climb a mountain and most of the energy is spent on attaining a certain altitude. So chemical energy turns into mechanical energy which is in turn converted into potential energy. Supposing I would consume about 1000KJ in the process of climbing. Once I attain the desired altitude I'd like to compensate myself for the calorie loss but without gaining any weight. Does that mean that I can eat up to 1.18-1.26 of 1000KJ, hence 1180-1260KJ?

Nope. You need to eat that much amount whose 18% is 1000 KJ. That would be minimum of 3864.15 KJ (for 26% efficiency).

But won't the rest 2864.15kJ be turned into fat?

!? It won't. As mentioned previously, the rest will be consumed in other metabolic activity. Human body is designed to live, not to do mechanical work.

The rest of the energy is required to sustain the life in Human body. That 26% is the "efficiency" of the human body to do mechanical work only, so it accounts only mechanical energy, not other metabolics.

Yea, don't get hung up on the "efficiency" word too much. They're referring to mechanical motion specifically, but you need to do a lot more than just move around in order to continue to exist.

This reminds me of the "humans only use 10% of their brain" fallacy. Your brain has to keep you breathing, and keep your heart beating, etc... So, having 10% of anything in your body to do anything more than simply keep you from collapsing into a blob of (mostly carbon) goo is nothing to look down on.

Related to Chemical energy into mechanical.

What is chemical energy?

Chemical energy is a type of potential energy that is stored in the bonds between atoms and molecules. It is released when these bonds are broken, resulting in a chemical reaction.

How is chemical energy converted into mechanical energy?

Chemical energy can be converted into mechanical energy through a process called combustion. In this process, the chemical bonds in a fuel source, such as gasoline, are broken, releasing heat energy. This heat energy is then used to power an engine, which converts it into mechanical energy.

What are some examples of chemical energy being converted into mechanical energy?

Some common examples of chemical energy being converted into mechanical energy include burning fossil fuels to power cars, using batteries to power electric motors, and the process of photosynthesis in plants, where chemical energy from sunlight is converted into mechanical energy for growth and movement.

What factors affect the efficiency of converting chemical energy into mechanical energy?

The efficiency of converting chemical energy into mechanical energy depends on several factors, including the type of chemical reaction taking place, the type of fuel being used, and the design and condition of the engines or devices involved in the conversion process.

What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of using chemical energy to power mechanical devices?

One potential benefit of using chemical energy to power mechanical devices is that it is a readily available and easily transportable source of energy. However, the use of fossil fuels to generate this chemical energy can have negative impacts on the environment, and there is a finite supply of these resources. Additionally, the conversion process can also produce harmful emissions and waste products.