Chemical Burn no marks or redness?

In summary: I fully agree with you, but my Doctor had no ideas, so why not try the science nerds and engineers ;-)
RobN
Hi,
This may sound like a weird question.
I have extremely painful burning sensation on my lower buttocks and down the back of my upper leg.

I have been to the doctor and he has no answers. Is it possible that I came in contact with some substance that could cause the extreme burning, but leaves no redness or marks?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To be honest, it is possible, but probably not very likely in my opinion.

I don't mean to be rude here, but I think you are asking if this pain is a common occurrence due to everyday contact with chemicals. Obviously we don't know your history, and I am not a medical doctor, but everyday common contact with chemicals is unlikely to cause this.

That said, if you were to tell us that you just got back from an up-close and personal study of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiotrophic_fungus" , we might give you a better idea.

Point is, no, this is not a common occurrence from everyday contact with chemicals. Also, even if we did know your medical history, it's nearly impossible for a bunch of science nerds and engineers to diagnose you over the internet. Most people here don't have medical degrees.

Sorry and best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully agree with you, but my Doctor had no ideas, so why not try the science nerds and engineers ;-)
The area involved has the same pattern as if one was in contact with a toilet seat. Ya it's funny! but hurts like hell.
My Doctor has it narrowed down to "lets wait and see" what happens ;-(

RobN said:
I fully agree with you, but my Doctor had no ideas, so why not try the science nerds and engineers ;-)
The area involved has the same pattern as if one was in contact with a toilet seat. Ya it's funny! but hurts like hell.
My Doctor has it narrowed down to "lets wait and see" what happens ;-(

Used any public facilities lately?

Seriously though, it could be anything and I don't think PF is the appropriate place for a diagnosis.

Listen to your doctor, they know better than anyone else here.

Apparently doc doesn't know any better...

Problem is, such reactions can be very individual.

Related to Chemical Burn no marks or redness?

What is a chemical burn?

A chemical burn is an injury to the skin or other tissue caused by direct contact with a strong acid or base. These substances can cause damage to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system.

What are the symptoms of a chemical burn?

The symptoms of a chemical burn can vary depending on the severity of the burn. Common symptoms include redness, irritation, pain, and blistering of the affected area. In more severe cases, there may be swelling, difficulty breathing, and even loss of consciousness.

How do I treat a chemical burn?

If you have been exposed to a chemical and are experiencing a burn, it is important to immediately remove any contaminated clothing and rinse the affected area with cool water for at least 20 minutes. You should also seek medical attention, as some chemicals can continue to burn even after they have been washed off.

Are there any long-term effects of a chemical burn?

The severity of a chemical burn and the length of time it takes to heal will determine whether there are any long-term effects. In some cases, there may be scarring or changes in skin color. If the burn occurred on the eyes, there may be permanent damage to vision.

How can I prevent chemical burns?

The best way to prevent chemical burns is to use proper safety precautions when handling strong chemicals. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. It is also important to handle and store chemicals according to their specific safety guidelines.