CHEM Equilibrium constant help

In summary, the given reaction reaches equilibrium in a 4.0L flask at 25 degrees Celsius with 2.5 mol of each component initially. At equilibrium, 2.5 mol of NS is present. The correct reaction quotient for this reaction is 1.6.
phys1618

Homework Statement

2NS(g) + 2H2(g)<---> N2(g) + 2H2S(g) @ equilibrium in a 4.L flask @ 25o
C. 2.5 mol of eah component initially is put into the flask. At equilibrium, 2.5 mol of NS is present. what is Kc for the rxn at this temp??

Homework Equations

Kc=[products]/[reactants]
M=moles/L
initial - change = equilibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

Kc=1 i thought the answer is a little odd... because the intital and equilbrium is 2.5 moles for NS so I'm unsure about my answer... please help! geatly appreciates all help! thank you in advance.
if my answer is wrong...can someone show me how to do it i know how to set up Kc, but I am troubled when finding the intial, change and equilibrium of each components.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all - can you write correct reaction quotient?

kc=[N2][HS]2/ [NS]2

OK (let's assume HS is just a typo :wink:).

Question is a little bit strange, as it seems amount of NS have not changed. But that's not your problem - if amount of NS have not changed, there were no reaction, thus initial amount of other reactants have not changed either. Can you calculate what are their concentrations?

PS PLease check - just in case - if you have copied question exactly as it was written.

hehe yea i did make a typo..sorry
their initial concentration is .625 M. I took 2.5 n divided that by 4.0 L
2NS9g0 +2H2(g<-----> N2g) + 2H2S(g) at equilibrium in a 4.0L flask at 25oC. suppose 2.5 mol of each component initially is put into the flask. At equilibrium, 2.5 mol of NO is present. What is Kc for the reaction at this temperature?

phys1618 said:
2NS(g) + 2H2(g)<---> N2(g) + 2H2S(g) @ equilibrium in a 4.L flask @ 25o
C. 2.5 mol of eah component initially is put into the flask. At equilibrium, 2.5 mol of NS is present. what is Kc for the rxn at this temp??

phys1618 said:
2NS9g0 +2H2(g<-----> N2g) + 2H2S(g) at equilibrium in a 4.0L flask at 25oC. suppose 2.5 mol of each component initially is put into the flask. At equilibrium, 2.5 mol of NO is present. What is Kc for the reaction at this temperature?

Sigh...

Put know concentrations into reaction quotient.

kc is still 1

nvm its 1.6

Related to CHEM Equilibrium constant help

1. What is the equilibrium constant in chemistry?

The equilibrium constant (K) is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is a numerical value that indicates the extent to which a reaction will proceed in the forward or reverse direction.

2. How is the equilibrium constant calculated?

The equilibrium constant is calculated by taking the concentration of the products, raised to the power of their respective coefficients, divided by the concentration of the reactants, raised to the power of their respective coefficients. Each concentration is raised to the power of the coefficient because it represents the number of moles of that substance in the balanced chemical equation.

3. What does a high or low equilibrium constant value indicate?

A high equilibrium constant value (K>1) indicates that the reaction favors the formation of products at equilibrium, meaning the reaction proceeds almost completely in the forward direction. A low equilibrium constant value (K<1) indicates that the reaction favors the formation of reactants at equilibrium, meaning the reaction proceeds almost completely in the reverse direction.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is affected by temperature through the equilibrium constant expression, which includes the temperature-dependent equilibrium constants of the forward and reverse reactions. An increase in temperature typically favors the endothermic reaction (the reaction that absorbs heat), while a decrease in temperature favors the exothermic reaction (the reaction that releases heat).

5. Can the equilibrium constant be changed?

The equilibrium constant for a specific reaction at a given temperature is a constant value and cannot be changed. However, the equilibrium constant can be affected by changing the temperature of the system or by adding/removing reactants or products. These changes can shift the equilibrium position and ultimately change the value of the equilibrium constant.