Checking Answers for Frequency Difference and Beats

In summary: The second harmonic of 658 hz is 1316. The third harmonic of 440 hz is 1320. The difference is the beat frequency: 4 beats/sec.
quicknote
Hi,
I was just hoping that some one could check my answers...particularily b and c.
Thanks!

The note A should have a frequency of 440Hz and the note E should be at 659Hz.

a) What is the frequency difference between the third harmonic of the A and the second harmonic of the E?

[tex]f_{beat} = 3f_{A} - 2f_{E} = 2Hz [/tex]

b) A tuner first tunes the A string very precisely by matching it to a 440 Hz tuning fork. She then strikes the A and E strings simultanesouly and listens for beats between the harmonics. What beat frequency indicates that the E string is properly tuned?

[tex] f_{beat} = f_{1} - f_{2} = 659-440 = 219 Hz [/tex]

but I don't think it's possible to hear 219 Hz is it? Would the answer be the same as part a, since you are trying to tune E?

c) The tuner starts with the tension in the E string a little low, then tightens it. What is the frequency of the E string when she hears four beats per second?

[tex]f = 659 \pm 4 [/tex]
therefore f = 655 or 663 Hz but what's throwing me of is that it says "it starts with the tension in the E string A LITTLE LOW" which would me that the frequency is not equal to 659...:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
quicknote said:
Hi,
I was just hoping that some one could check my answers...particularily b and c.
Thanks!
The note A should have a frequency of 440Hz and the note E should be at 659Hz.
a) What is the frequency difference between the third harmonic of the A and the second harmonic of the E?

[tex]f_{beat} = 3f_{A} - 2f_{E} = 2Hz [/tex]
b) A tuner first tunes the A string very precisely by matching it to a 440 Hz tuning fork. She then strikes the A and E strings simultanesouly and listens for beats between the harmonics. What beat frequency indicates that the E string is properly tuned?
[tex] f_{beat} = f_{1} - f_{2} = 659-440 = 219 Hz [/tex]
but I don't think it's possible to hear 219 Hz is it? Would the answer be the same as part a, since you are trying to tune E?
The beat is between the 2nd harmonic of E and 3rd of A. That is 2 Hz.
c) The tuner starts with the tension in the E string a little low, then tightens it. What is the frequency of the E string when she hears four beats per second?
[tex]f = 659 \pm 4 [/tex]
therefore f = 655 or 663 Hz but what's throwing me of is that it says "it starts with the tension in the E string A LITTLE LOW" which would me that the frequency is not equal to 659...:confused:
Assume you start lower, say around 650 hz. The first frequency at which one hears 4 beats/sec is 658 Hz.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Assume you start lower, say around 650 hz. The first frequency at which one hears 4 beats/sec is 658 Hz.
AM

Thanks for checking it over...but can you explain this a bit more? I don't understand how you would get 658Hz

quicknote said:
Thanks for checking it over...but can you explain this a bit more? I don't understand how you would get 658Hz
The second harmonic of 658 hz is 1316. The third harmonic of 440 hz is 1320. The difference is the beat frequency: 4 beats/sec.

AM

Related to Checking Answers for Frequency Difference and Beats

1. What is frequency difference and how is it checked?

Frequency difference refers to the difference in frequency between two sound waves. It is checked by using a frequency meter or a tuner, which measures the frequency of a sound wave in hertz (Hz).

2. Why is it important to check for frequency difference?

Checking for frequency difference is important because it can help identify if two sound waves are in tune with each other. This is especially important for musicians to ensure that their instruments are tuned correctly.

3. What are beats and how do they relate to frequency difference?

Beats are the periodic increase and decrease in volume of two sound waves with slightly different frequencies. They are created when two sound waves interfere with each other. The frequency difference between the two sound waves determines the rate at which the beats occur.

4. How do you calculate the frequency difference between two sound waves?

The frequency difference between two sound waves can be calculated by subtracting the frequency of one sound wave from the frequency of the other. The resulting number will be the frequency difference between the two waves.

5. Can frequency difference and beats be used to tune musical instruments?

Yes, frequency difference and beats can be used to tune musical instruments. By adjusting the frequency of one of the sound waves, the beats can be eliminated, indicating that the two sound waves are in tune with each other.